Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: Listening Impressions on the U-DAC8

Listening Impressions on the U-DAC8 1 year 1 month ago #21722

• mrhoades
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello from a potential U-DAC8 owner.
Been looking at the U-DAC8 for output from Mac running Channel D Pure Music. I am also looking at multiple Power ICE 125's (without digital) to run my active 3 ways and sub.

How have your experiences been with the U-DAC8..... give it to me straight !

thanks mike
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Listening Impressions on the U-DAC8 1 year 1 month ago #21783

• candrian
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Mike,
I'm a U-DAC 8 user since several months and I'm really pleased about the sound quality.

My setup: Windows Home Server --> HTPC (fanless, Intel dh67cf board with IR, Intel i5) --> USB (3 pins: no +5V wire, data only + GND ) --> U-DAC 8 --> DIY 5 channel power amp class D based on L15D modules + Sub --> Canton Reference / Vento 5.1 speaker
Front end is KODI / XBMC.
Power comes from a USB master/slave power strip, where the PC is the master and switches on all other devices as slaves via USB signal.

Sound?
I couldn't find anything better in this price range for multichannel. I tried before a Terratec DMX 6Fire audio converter, the Asus U7 external soundcard and the Realtec 892 internal sound.
Nothing compares to the U-Dac8 in terms of sound clarity esp. with complex music. Usually I listen everything from AC/DC to Beethoven and some strange Jazz. B)

I get 4 "clicks" in the speakers when the PC boots - also when I switch the frequency from e.g. 48kHz to 96kHz.
This is still unsolved for me.

Hope that helps,
Christoph

p.s. I ordered the U-DAC8 directly from MiniDSP, but needed to pay some custom fee (I live in Germany). I found a trader in France ,,, just in case you live in EU as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Listening Impressions on the U-DAC8 1 year 1 month ago #21800

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 632
@ Christoph,

Thanks a ton for your review. Glad to hear that you're happy with the unit. :-)

We'd be happy to investigate the 4 clicks when PC boots. Not 100% sure what it could be but we're guessing that these are really small in levels? Anyway for you to start a tech support ticket with our team? (minidsp.desk.com) We can take it from there to see if a custom firmware could solve the problem.

Devteam
MiniDSP, building a DIY DSP community one board at a time.
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds