Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
A happy place for random thoughts unrelated to a specific tech sections.

TOPIC: Two channel and cinema - need some good advice !

Two channel and cinema - need some good advice ! 1 month 1 week ago #41386

Hi everyone, i need som good advice regarding what minidsp unit or units would be best choice.

My situation is as follows - I have a new dedicated music- and homecinema-room and will runsetup consisting of highend two-way tops and an four subs. I already own some very good poweramplifiers for the tops and subs and my mainfocus is two channel musiclistening but i would also like run surround speakers for the movie-experience.
I will use a HTPC as source for both uncompressed music, streaming and movies. I off course want a decent DAC and incorporate Dirac live in the chain.

I´ve looked at the DDRC-24 which seem to be perfect to add between pc and two poweramplifiers, utilising the DDRC-24 for DAC, Dirac live and crossover between subs and tops. This would allow me to use Windows ASIO drivers. This seem to be quite a nice setup for two-channel music listening. This on the other side doesn´t let me decode multichannelsound and use the amplifiers and speakers for cinema :/

Off course i don´t want to go DAC - AD - DAC in several steps...

Am I wrong thinking that an nanoAVR-DL Dirac Live in series with a nanoAVR-DA would solve the situation. This would off course require a relatively lowpower multichannel poweramplifier for surroundspeakers and a possible center. I am curious as for what quality is the musicsignal for two-channel coming out from the PC through HDMI compared to USB and ASIO drivers?
Another soultion would be to buy a AV-receiver with pre-out for frontchannels but im unsure as for where i the would put in the Dirac Live.
One "easy" solution would be to go for an AVR with integrated Dirac Live but those come with a rather hefty price.

A discussion around this and suggestions would be highly appreciated, especially if someone could shed some light on HDMI vs USB/ASIO :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam