Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Plugins: Linux support 9 years 8 months ago #6429

• Zas
  • Zas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi,

i'm using a miniDSP 2x8 since some time now, it works well and fit my needs (4-ways active filtering).

But this is the sole product that force me to use Win for setup.
Since plugins are coded using AdobeAIR, and Adobe gave up on Linux support for Air, i guess it will not happen soon to have MiniDSP plugins running under Linux.

Anyone found a way to configure MiniDSP from a linux os computer ?

Imho choosing adobe AIR to develop plugins was a bad idea... why not Java ?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mamba76

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Plugins: Linux support 9 years 8 months ago #6447

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1376
@ Zas,

Since your question sounds more like a suggestion (i.e. us changing completely of environment.. :-), we moved it to the suggestion box.

So far, indeed no plans for doing Linux support. With only Windows & Mac and their various OS peculiarities (there are many!) we already have our hands full so I'm afraid that we don't have any plans at this time to add Linux support.

Maybe in the future as things may always change! Hoping this info helps.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re: Plugins: Linux support 9 years 8 months ago #6450

• Zas
  • Zas's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for your answer. It is somehow bad news, but i can understand it isn't that easy to support a new platform when existing code isn't easily portable.

Did you think about opening specifications allowing open source community to develop new plugins for MiniDSP (after all, it was done somehow for RoomEQWizard ) ?

Plugins: Linux support 5 years 3 months ago #30706

• brombo
You can program the miniDSP HD and generate the .xls file using your program, linux (ubuntu 14.04), and wine after installing .net2 on wine. You cannot load the .xls file into the miniDSP hardware from linux. A small linux program that can load the .xls file into the hardware would do the job of making the miniDSP setup windows independent quite well. Please consider it.

Plugins: Linux support 5 years 3 months ago #30728

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ Brombo,

Thanks for the follow up..
Knowing you're reviving a 4.5years old thread, I'm afraid that we can say with quite certainty that have not plans for Linux software setup.. :-( Both Win and Mac (more than 8 OS version with each unique flavor) is already a major load on our software team.. Adding Linux (and it's unlimited distribution) isn't exactly high on our list.. :-) Sorry we're not able to help on this..

DevTeam

Plugins: Linux support 5 years 1 month ago #31340

• yakker
This is where OPEN SOURCE can come to your aid. Open the API and the Linux software will be done for you by the community.

Additionally, there is no need to support every Linux distribution made. Pick a baseline set of requirements (kernel, libraries, etc) just like you do with the other operating systems.

Last edit: by yakker.

Plugins: Linux support 5 years 1 month ago #31406

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@ Yakker,

Good in theory but unfortunately in the past (based on opening our code for say our AVB products which were 99% used by engineers, i.e. supposely knowledgeable on coding), our engineers were dragged a LOT of times having to debug code and explain how thing worked behind the scene.. It just was very hard to justify for us the added cost for our operation knowing we run on very slim margins on these products.. i.e. for engineers to turn into tech support = bad choice for IP development..
But maybe in the future, we can still consider.. :-)

DevTeam

Plugins: Linux support 2 years 8 months ago #43925

• mfaughn
I'm a developer and am migrating to Linux (away from MacOS). So, that is what brought me here. Yea, I know I'm resurrecting a dead thread...again.

Maybe you could obviate the argument (however small it may be) for Linux. Even those of us that don't run Windows or MacOS are still going to be running Android or iOS on a handheld. Adobe AIR supports Android and iOS. How much overhead would it add to release the plugins for Android and iOS? I'd be alright with having to get a WI-DG in order to use them.

Plugins: Linux support 4 months 6 days ago #58780

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
dito, what he said. Android head units in cars but dont think mini dsp are that serious about mobile audio, shame.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam