Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC:

Linkwitz transform 7 years 4 months ago #19486

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 728
Yeah, I'm with you and will stipulate that if you measure a system designed with this objective, in free-field conditions, and with the microphone in a precise location you can achieve a flat phase response. But it's going to break down off-axis and when other variables.....like a reverberant listening room are introduced. :)

I view this as primarily an academic exercise. In my opinion there are other, much more important issues, that need attention in speaker system design before worrying about "linear-phase" reproduction capability.

Regardless, this is still way off topic for this thread in this area of the miniDSP forum. There are hundreds of various threads regarding this topic on various audio forums. :)

Dave.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Linkwitz transform 7 years 3 months ago #20003

• swest
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings,

First off, I will confess to having not read this entire thread. I have searched it, and not gotten any hits for the keywords of my question.

Some background, and my question, follows:

I currently use a Marchand Electronics BASSIS (a variable, analog, Linkwitz Transform device) to re-Q, and boost, my subwoofer array, which is 4 sealed Dayton Titanic MK IIIs (F3 = ~46hz, Q =~.707...)

This works quite well. Unfortunately, mine is a single-channel BASSIS, and my new Marantz processor will accommodate 2 subwoofers (and Audyssey will EQ them separately)... So, for best results, I am going to need another BASSIS, or a 2-channel BASSIS to replace my single channel version.

Q: Can the miniDSP replace the BASSIS? Both in terms of the functionality, as well as the 'quality' of the resulting Frequency Response curve.

Thanks.

- s.west

p.s. I haven't checked the forum rules, regarding the posting of external URLs, but to be on the safe side, I didn't post the link to the BASSIS. However, it can be easily found via a google search, if need be.

Linkwitz transform 7 years 3 months ago #20006

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 728
Just about any DSP-based equalizer on the market nowadays can perform the function of the Bassis......and a whole bunch more. :)
You won't have the continuously adjustable settings, but any electrical response can be duplicated with a miniDSP unit.

However, if Audyssey is in use for EQ, why do you need a BASSIS in the first place?

Dave.

Linkwitz transform 4 years 6 months ago #36139

• JJ2106
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 8
Sorry again to dig this (very) old thread.
For those who want to dispense with the advanced biquad functionality, I just wanted to mention that the strict equivalent of a Linkwitz Transform can be achieved with two standard filters: a peaking filter and a lo-shelf filter.
These two can be applied in whichever order, but assuming you apply the peaking filter first, here are the parameters:
- peaking: Fpk=Fb, Gain(v/v) = Qtarget/Qb, Qpk=sqrt(Qb*Qtarget)
- lo-shelf: Fls =sqrt (Fb*Ftarget), Midpoint gain (v/v=Fb/Ftarget, Qls=Qtarget (DCgain=2*Midpointgain)
Hope this may be useful, albeit to one member only!
J-J
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juoigâ

Linkwitz transform 2 years 2 months ago #50001

• keselobojo
  • Thank you received: 0
I guess everything is solved now?

Moderators: devteam