Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #345

• philfrench
  • philfrench's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I'm trying to participate ... (Tell me if I'm boring guy :unsure: )
In some cases low freq speaker load with high power driving leads to a dangerous elongation of transducer cone. May it be possible to think about a brutal binary filter that stop all frequency's below the limit frequency (only one parameter). By this mean, high power can be achieved without the fear to break the low range transducer.
This could be added to quasi all kind of your filter with I hope a minimum MPU requirement.

Thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by philfrench.

Re:Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #347

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1381
Hello,

While I understand your point about requirement for a high pass filter, I'm not sure I understand your "brutal binary filter"... Maybe something lost in translation?
Filters in the digital domain are built as an analogy of an analog filter, in our case using so called biquads. Never heard of a binary filter so maybe if you can elaborate what you mean, we can try to see what this filter would do that a biquad high pass filter wouldn't.

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #352

• philfrench
Hello to the team,
yes it's the function of a high pass filter (analog replication). In fact, I figure that it was difficult with a lot of implication to add filters to your plugging s (because of MPU overhead and perhaps memory space and UI considerations)
So I was thinking of a shortcut, with very low footprint, a straight forward option for cutting to protect the transducers.
If protection is the objective, why not to cut below frequency directly, with no biquad at all ?
(Example : a vented box bass-reflex, high power use, below Fb the transducer is in danger :
1] Analog like filtering with a slope.
2] Numeric filtering with no slope. (Do not need it)

Now, I understand that you are preparing an important update for the pluggin's and may be I just have to be patient !

Thank you

Re:Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #353

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1381
I fully understand the need for a high pass in some applications, what I don't understand is the word: "binary filter"? What is that? How do you perform this signal processing in a DSP. That's what i just don't understand...
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #355

• philfrench
It is a manner to say : behind the choose frequency all the signal is passing and below no signal at all. Supposing in the DSP at a moment you have a freq to EQ, instead of calculate the amount of increase or decrease level simply null it.
Hoping to be understood.
Regards

Re:Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #356

• Complex
Hello,

so you´re basically talking about a filter with an infinite slope?
I dont think that would be useful, becuse it would sound bad, and there ist no benfit in it at all.
A normal subsonic, with the 24db/oct. LR filter f.e. does the excoursion-protection quite well.
Maybe, with some high-tuned PA bassreflex enclosures a 48db filter for subsonic would be an nice thing?

Re:Possibility to have a protect speaker bin filter 12 years 2 months ago #357

• philfrench
Hello,
yes, in fact I'm studying the use of the Stereo pluggin with PEQ filters. In it there is an High pass and a low pass but nothing for the high pass of the first band. I figured it was difficult to implement it as an add and imagined an extremely simplified manner to protect the transducer.

By now, I understand that an high pass filter on the first band is about to be implemented on the 2 ways filters. So my question is no object.

Thank you all for your answers

• Page:
Moderators: devteam