Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2.1 plug-in 12 years 2 months ago #304

• mmosst
  • mmosst's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
This 2.1 plug-in looks great for my first mini project: adding a sub to my satellites with good crossover region control. A few issues:

1) One problem I foresee is that there is no provision for a subwoofer highpass (e.g. -3dB @ 20 Hz, Q=0.7, 2nd order). With your existing software, I'd have to use the "PEQ" section to make my own 'highpass' of sorts. There are many reasons why this kind of filter is valuable, but it would be most useful for excursion protection (esp with ported subs below resonance). Will you address this problem in a next software release? If so, when can we expect this?

2) It appears that the crossover block is very limited in terms of options for Q, frequency, order. It would be helpful to have more control over these parameters. Of course, the subsequent PEQ blocks add a lot of flexibility, so I'm not overly concerned about this.

Do you plan on improving this? Do you plan on allowing for direct input/import of biquad coefficients?

3) Also, the "product details" link for this software on the "audio pluggins" page does not work (at least on my Firefox browser):

www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/details/56/1...2way-peq-2.1-plug-in

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:2.1 plug-in 12 years 2 months ago #307

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1381
Hello,

Glad to hear that this miniDSP plug-in works for you.. :-)

With regards to the highpass on stereo Xover, it's something that was mentioned previously and is in the work along with more slopes. This modification is a major rework of the whole plug-in, and by major, I don't imply just adding more code to make some pretty graphs! :S

This means that it won't be possible to get it across all plug-ins at once. Simply impossible knowing that by now we have 6 plug-ins released so making a change takes time across all plug-ins.

Most of software/dsp hardware we've used, seen, tested would only have: Type, Order, Frequency. Never seen Q as a control... I can think of a couple of reasons why this would be hard to implement, one of them being that higher order filters are not a cascade of same q values... anyway, please expand on what you meant by Q on the filter.

One thing I'd like to point out is that it's going to be almost impossible to please all designers and their specific filtering needs. The intend when we release a future plug-in is to give access to all biquad coefficients, then you can come up with whatever filter shape, ideas you may have. But that's another plug-in which we have yet to start.. :-)

As for expected release, we never publish these since we see no point in stressing our firmware team to release a product according to customers expectations, while it may just not be ready for prime time. Our concept which worked real well for the past few months is not to issue any release date, but keep working at releasing good product, when they are ready for release. Don't worry it's coming up.

Hope this answer your questions and welcome to the miniDSP team!

DevTeam

ps: FYI, link is now fixed for the 2.1 plug-in
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:2.1 plug-in 12 years 2 months ago #313

• mmosst
  • mmosst's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the detailed response! I should've figured that these issues were brought up previously, but glad to hear that solutions are in the works.

Concerning the filter Q factor, I agree that this is impossible to implement unless the xover filters are accessed at the biquad level. Your approach of having the user enter filter "type" is probably the best way to go. I look forward to software that allows for direct input of biquad filter coeffs! Perhaps you can implement this as done on the TAS5508b, where via the GUI, you can access an input/output matrix mixer as well as biquad coeffs for the "processing channels" (7 biquads per processing channel). Coeffs for a series of biquads can be uploaded from an ASCII file, which makes things very easy. The I/O mixer + processing channels allows for a huge amount of flexibility. Unfortunately, TAS5508-based EVMs are expensive and not very well designed.

MiniDSP is a great DIY concept and frankly long overdue. Look forward to testing one out!

Regards,
Merrick

• Page:
Moderators: devteam