Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Application note about gain structure ? 12 years 3 months ago #266

• jmcazaux
  • jmcazaux's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
For those who are lucky enough to be driving a miniDSP from a device where the gain can be adjusted (like a home theater amp or preamp) it might be useful to have an application note about gain structure and gain management.

Those devices do generate -20dBfs (or -30) test signal and I would have assumed that from that there are good ways and bad ways to feed the miniDSP ADC stages in order to benefit from the best dynamic range...

I must say as well that this 0,9v vs. 2v version is a bit cryptic...
Are they both allowing the same dynamic range ?
I would have thought that if the gain of the "feeder" can be adjusted up and down, having a bigger scale (2v) might provide better resolution, but this is really layman thnking....

Is the max ouput voltage part of the standard available spec of a preamp (as in "is it in the manual?").

That is enough questions for now I assume :D

Cheers.

Jean-Michel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Application note about gain structure ? 12 years 2 months ago #277

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1381
Yes, We're indeed supposed to put together a gain structure application note, but just haven't had the time. We'll try to get to that task this week sometime.

In answer to your question, providing you leave enough headroom for your signal, running the input stage with a strong signal is always recommended. Here is how we recommend running a miniDSP:
- Strong signal in the input
- As little digital gain attenuation as possible to prevent a very small signal on the output

Once the application note out, this will make more sense.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam