Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SHD wifi stability 4 months 3 weeks ago #59989

• tomjordan
  • tomjordan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
I bought a new SHD Studio in 2019 and love everything about it except for one thing:  its wifi stability is terrible.  I struggled for months with its constant wifi connection losses, several times a day in an 801.11ac home network with a gigabit router and a strong, clean wifi signal (typical RSSI -40 dBm, noise -90 dBm).  Eventually I quit trying to use your wifi interface for over a year, until a few months ago when I decided to try again.  This time I put a bridge router WAP next to the SHD and connected that to the SHD network input with an RJ45 patch cable.  That worked!  My SHD network stability has been 100% reliable ever since.  I'm happy to see that other users on this forum have also found the same solution.

Problem solved?  I thought so, until I recently bought a WiiM Mini to stream hi res wifi to my office system on its Toslink 192/24 output.  Its wifi connection has been 100% reliable since day 1.  And that got me wondering how a US$90 Android wifi streamer can so completely outperform the wifi interface of my otherwise best-in-class SHD Studio.  I think I've learned why:  superb engineering by the WiiM developers, including error handlers that the SHD Volumio implementation seems to lack.  If the SHD loses its wifi connection, I need to reboot it.  If the WiiM loses its connection, I don't even know it because it re-connects automatically, completely transparent to the user.  

It's ridiculous to need a wifi bridge router next to your flagship product because its wifi interface is so poor.  Please do solve this problem.  Can you recode the SHD wifi interface to be as robust and seamless as the $90 WiiM?  If there's some technical reason that your Volumio interface can never equal the WiiM, can you replace your Volumio interface with a WiiM interface?

Thank you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Raccio14

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by tomjordan.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam