Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Volume and input selection indicators - MiniDSP 2x4 HD 7 months 2 weeks ago #57261

• knucklesplitter
  • knucklesplitter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
The MiniDSP 2x4 HD is in most ways the best value in a digital stereo "preamp".  Perhaps that is not what it was intended for, but it is.  It is lacking in a few respects though, and this applies even if it is just being used as a DSP/crossover/Dirac unit.  It needs some sort of hardware indication of which input is selected.  Also a volume level display would be nice, even if an add-on box or board.   And I personally would like a knob to control volume/gain.  Something like the VOL-FP is to the 2x8/8x8 units.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juoigâ

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Volume and input selection indicators - MiniDSP 2x4 HD 6 months 1 week ago #57646

• andrejg
  • Thank you received: 11
Eh. It can be done, though the cost would probably approach the price of a SHD unit, depending on your goals (you could probably pull it off with just a SBC ala Raspberry Pi, some peripherals and a cardboard box :)).

See here: gitlab.com/andrejg/minidsp-preamp. The ag branch has the latest code (better serial communication, mostly), but has stuff in that only fit my personal use case. There's a bunch of things that I could have done better (use a Raspberry Pi compute module, use an ATmega2560 instead of a full blown Arduino, less spaghettified code, better power supply, etc., etc.). I'll leave that for version 2, if I ever get around to it. It does a few things better than the SHD, IMHO. I can perform the Dirac Live calibration over WiFi (via VirtualHere) and can turn on/off devices via the Arduino serial ports, based on arbitrary conditions (turn amplifiers on/off based on the selected profile, for example).

edit: the original thread -> www.minidsp.com/forum/suggestion-box/14442-volume-display
The following user(s) said Thank You: knucklesplitter

Last edit: by andrejg.

Volume and input selection indicators - MiniDSP 2x4 HD 5 months 2 weeks ago #57866

• knucklesplitter
  • knucklesplitter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Ask, and ye shall receive...

www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/flex

With few more features added too.

Last edit: by knucklesplitter.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam