Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

overload indicator. 11 months 5 days ago #56261

• Juffs
  • Juffs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
to reduce the risk of digital distortion I think the addition of a an overload light along side the meters in the software for when maximum input and output are exceded. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

overload indicator. 11 months 5 days ago #56262

• eiv
  • Thank you received: 3
that is a great question, i want that feature also.
example: in the plugin i set the outputs to +12db gain and have 16db gain in the PEQ, it sound fine but that sure sounds like a theoretical recipe for disaster....

overload indicator. 11 months 2 days ago #56313

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1381
You mean like some sort of "clip hold"? 
We don't have such feature under the DSP I'm afraid as it's not monitoring 24/7 the audio behind the scenes.. :-( Technically not possible on the current firmware/software platform we have.. 
Maybe can think of it in the future if that is possible and how that would work (i.e. DSP need to feedback to the GUI a random clip that may have happened few days/month before?  it's odd to think of it.. ) 

In 90% of application, you just can easily monitor with a range of source/material if you're clipping looking at the RMS in/out meters. You'd know roughly where you sit with your sources. 
On a SHARC with floating point, you do have lots of headroom. 

DeVteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

overload indicator. 9 months 1 week ago #57113

• midas
  • Thank you received: 0
+1 definitely would like to have a peak-and-hold overload monitoring feature of the DDRC-88 platform. As a user I'd like to know if my output DACs are not running into saturation.

@devteam
What kind of monitoring is done when using the DDRC-88-BM PC software? It shows a dBFS figure per channel. Does it sample all incoming data and calculate the levels, or just smaller "windows" at regular intervals in the audio stream?

Would it be possible to have a peak and hold indication in the PC/Mac software? This would at least give a quantitative indication of peaks and potential overloads.

Last edit: by midas.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam