Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Update SHD DAC chips 1 year 2 weeks ago #56150

• OCDguy
  • OCDguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Posted under SHD, and then saw this section…The SHD is almost perfect for the active towers I am building, EXCEPT it has a 3 generation old 4490 DAC chip. Really be great if this can be updated to the far superior  4499. This would ‘wow’  everyone over at ASR with superior measurements. I’d pay $300-$500 more for a pair of 4499’s. Heck the Topping D90 uses only one and still murders dual 4490 kits, and that would only cost like $80 more. The Sabre ES9038 pro or q2m are great options, also (and these may be more readily available). Thanks for your consideration!
The following user(s) said Thank You: nextelspe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 2 weeks ago #57135

• nextelspe
  • Thank you received: 0
I agree.  The DAC 96KHz sampling rate, and lack of MQA support are holding back an otherwise amazing piece of hardware.

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 2 weeks ago #57136

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 426

I agree.  The DAC 96KHz sampling rate, and lack of MQA support are holding back an otherwise amazing piece of hardware.

Making the unit more expensive by having to cover the cost of an MQA licence would be a shame, given that nobody truly interested in sound quality should be using MQA anyway. I'd be far more interested in a future SHD offering support for a wider range of lossless streaming services. Right now I'm very happy with Qobuz though.

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 2 weeks ago #57147

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 708

Neither one those aspects is holding back this product all.  In fact, quite the opposite.

Dave.

Last edit: by dreite. Reason: update

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57232

• timiambeing
Totally new to MiniDSP forum so hello all! I was looking at the MiniDSP site and again I was put off by the 96KHz top limit on internal processing, I am looking for a box for my Roon system, to sit between my Lumin U1 Mini streamer and my Denafrips Pontus II DAC, digital only, to perform Dirac Live duties. But I'm loath to slot something in there that is not able to process full 32bit 384khz signal (like the streamer and my DAC) ... but am I missing something? Is the internal processing nothing to do with the sample rate capabilities of my streamer and DAC? I listen to loads of Qobuz 192k streams, I'm not debating their superiority over even 16 Bit 44.1Khz as we all know it's the mastering that counts, but it seems a little silly to bring down the sample rate of everything just to apply DSP? Doesn't it? Dave seems to think not... any comments?

Tim

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57234

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Processing high bit depth and high sampling rate material comes at an expense.  You understand that, right?
All other things being equal, much sacrificing would need to be made elsewhere to support that.  Reducing the number of available PEQ's.....eliminate high-slope capability in the crossover filters....throttling the capability of DIirac processing...etc, etc, etc.

Using a 96khz sampling rate "limitation," the question quickly becomes.....what are you missing??
What actual content exists in your program material that is above 48khz??  If you've never loaded up some of your really higher-definition192khz and 385khz content into a spectrum analysis program and looked at, I suggest to do that.

You might also consider the aspects of noise-shaping employed in these various systems.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DSP_man

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57240

• pr1324
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi OCD,
that's what I have SHD studio + TOPPING D90 MQA version, even if I never use MQA.
Only gripe is the max 24/96k between the studio and the D90 and, more importanly the lacking selection of material by Spotify and Qobuz. SHD don't like amazon or youtube music (whatever that is called).
Having said that, DIRAC makes for a much bigger difference in sound quality than higher bit count ever will. Unless they come up with a Lumin U1 with DIRAC (or something like it) I see no point in ever changing setup. I would argue my combo cannot be beat at any price.

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57245

• timiambeing
Hi Dave - as far as I can tell my little NUC5 running Roon at 64bits for DSP doesn’t seem to have any problems, the convolution files I am using cover all bitrates and  contain both timing and phase information alongside PEQ frequency adjustment. Nothing is ‘sacrificed’, as many bands of PEQ as required, and the crosstalk versions (which I don’t actually like very much) have nothing missing as far as I can tell? Dirac Live Studio software also runs at 192k of course, so again the ‘limitation’ is in the MiniDSP hardware. 

So really the argument for not updating the MiniDSP hardware with better and more up to date processing capabilities boils down to “you can’t hear it anyway” - which is the company’s stance and yours - which is fine. 😊

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57246

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 426

I listen to loads of Qobuz 192k streams, I'm not debating their superiority over even 16 Bit 44.1Khz as we all know it's the mastering that counts, but it seems a little silly to bring down the sample rate of everything just to apply DSP?

I would put it the other way around. It would be 'silly' to miss out on the obvious and significant benefits of DSP to address particularly bass-response issues for the sake of highly questionable benefits of high-resolution music formats. 

I'll add that I use Qobuz too, but it's actually very rare that anything I want to listen to is above 24/96 resolution. Your experience may well reflect different musical tastes though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dreite

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57250

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Hi Dave - as far as I can tell my little NUC5 running Roon at 64bits for DSP doesn’t seem to have any problems, the convolution files I am using cover all bitrates and  contain both timing and phase information alongside PEQ frequency adjustment. Nothing is ‘sacrificed’, as many bands of PEQ as required, and the crosstalk versions (which I don’t actually like very much) have nothing missing as far as I can tell? Dirac Live Studio software also runs at 192k of course, so again the ‘limitation’ is in the MiniDSP hardware. 

So really the argument for not updating the MiniDSP hardware with better and more up to date processing capabilities boils down to “you can’t hear it anyway” - which is the company’s stance and yours - which is fine. 😊

I understand where you're coming from, I do.
But you have to look at this as a practical matter.  If you want miniDSP to redesign their units every couple years with the latest DAC's and processing power, it's probably a non-starter.  :)
These fellas don't have the capability of Intel to design NUC computers.

And the fact of the matter is......you can't hear it anyway.  (All other things being equal.....which I already stated.)

Dave.

Update SHD DAC chips 10 months 1 week ago #57251

• pr1324
  • Thank you received: 3
I agree with ultrasonic! Above a certain threshold, DSP is much, much more important than bit count. Most material on qobuz and spotify are CD quality anyways and 24/96k on a good day (don't listen to tidal). New material sounds great no matter what but then again I have tube amplification and horns so you mileage may vary.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam