Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51144

• eisenb11
  • eisenb11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12
I this this is the main missing item from the SHD. Would be really cool to be able to turn on/off an amp for a completely "hands-free" experience.

This suggestion applies to both the SHD and SHD Studio
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnSmith

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51150

• slm3654
  • Thank you received: 6
I designed and built a PCB to give this capability to a DDRC-88A (see www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-suppo...on-using-2-ddrc-88bm) but there was not enough room on the rear panel of the SHD to use it there.

Steve

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51164

• eisenb11
Took a look - neat board that you put together! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is any room on the back of the SHD to add one unless they add the trigger, themselves, in the next revision / successor of the SHD.

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51222

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 418
It may be that regularly switching an SHD off is a bad idea due to having Volumio running. Note that the 'Shutdown' feature doesn't stop this.

I don't routinely switch my SHD off as I don't believe it is designed to be, although I'd be interested in @devteam's thoughts on this.

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51224

• eisenb11

It may be that regularly switching an SHD off is a bad idea due to having Volumio running. Note that the 'Shutdown' feature doesn't stop this.

I don't routinely switch my SHD off as I don't believe it is designed to be, although I'd be interested in @devteam's thoughts on this.

The 12V trigger needed would be an OUT not an IN - it's for the SHD to automatically turn on and off an amp when it's playing music.

The SHD seems to make a great pre-amp, so a trigger out would be the last piece towards completing the picture.

Last edit: by eisenb11.

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51226

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 418

The 12V trigger needed would be an OUT not an IN - it's for the SHD to automatically turn on and off an amp when it's playing music.

The SHD seems to make a great pre-amp, so a trigger out would be the last piece towards completing the picture.

Sorry, yes you did refer to an amp in your first post!

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 8 months ago #51481

• notman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34

I’ll just chime in on this question since I was concerned about my use case and asked SHD about it. I am already using two triggers from a full-fledged preamp, one to control my power amp and one to control other equipment via my power conditioner’s trigger-switched outlets.

I asked miniDSP tech support if they had any concerns over leaving the SHD’s rear power switch in the on position and letting the power conditioner cut and restore power via the trigger. They had no concerns and said it would be fine.

Back to the main point, yeah, it’s far from a dealbreaker for me personally, but it’d be great if the SHD had 12V. I’d vote for in and out functionality in case it’s being used as a source and not a preamp.

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 3 weeks ago #55660

• SDX
  • Thank you received: 1
Just a note - latest Neo3 version of SHD cuts power on the USB port when the unit goes into standby. Effectively it is a 5V trigger signal that can be stepped up to 12V or perhaps used directly.  Very tricky, not available on older SHD units, but better than nothing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnSmith

SHD 12v trigger 1 year 3 weeks ago #55662

• notman
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34
Yep, you’re on the right track. A 5v to 12v step up cable with a mono jack works wonderfully and is exactly what I do now that I have a Neo3 unit. 

• Page:
Moderators: devteam