Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 1 year 8 months ago #50403

• ragurix
  • ragurix's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Having the SHD as the center of the living room Hi-Fi/tv Setup, I notice it would be wise, and make the device a lot more user friendly, to have source selection mapped to single tap > rotate and filter selection on double tap > rotate on the device’s button.

Not only is changing source the far more frequent activity than changing filter, filters also already have discrete buttons on the remote.

I’d be happy with a preference setting in the plugin.

Thank you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juoigâ, Jukka

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #57941

• ragurix
** please? **

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #57962

• Juoigâ
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 50
this is something that I would also like (as would the rest of our household)

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #57966

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 397
Not to detract from the request but do you both realise that you can use the plugin to change how many input options are scrolled through? If you don't use many this makes switching wih the remote control pretty quick, which is what I do. I mostly just use the control knob on the front to take my SHD in and out of standby.

Different users will have different preferences as to what they change most but if it were possible to make this user configurable this would obviously be good for all.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58010

• ragurix

Not to detract from the request but do you both realise that you can use the plugin to change how many input options are scrolled through? If you don't use many this makes switching wih the remote control pretty quick, which is what I do. I mostly just use the control knob on the front to take my SHD in and out of standby.

Hi Ultrasonic, I knew that, thanks. It’s not the scrolling, it’s that source changing is so “deep down”, requiring a double push of the knob. 

Different users will have different preferences as to what they change most

Not to take this off-topic, nor to be contrarian but what would be the user story here? Once you’ve set your presets and you want to listen to music, that’s it, no? 

Cheers,
r

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58013

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Not to take this off-topic, nor to be contrarian but what would be the user story here? Once you’ve set your presets and you want to listen to music, that’s it, no? 

Users who exclusively (or principally) use a single source but regularly switch between different presets for different situations. My guess is studio applications are more likely to fall into this category, but equally a home user could have different presets for different musical genres, or for listening at different volumes.

Out of interest, is there a reason you don't like using the remote control? It would do what you're looking for more easily.

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58014

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thinking about it, the current arrangement will also make it easier for users to quickly compare two different presets, in a way it's unlikely for anyone to want to compare different sources.

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58015

• ragurix

Users who exclusively (or principally) use a single source but regularly switch between different presets for different situations. My guess is studio applications are more likely to fall into this category, but equally a home user could have different presets for different musical genres, or for listening at different volumes.

Indeed these are all good arguments that I hadn’t considered. But again, I would LOVE that to be user-adjustable, not prescribe my preference to anyone.

Thinking about it, the current arrangement will also make it easier for users to quickly compare two different presets, in a way it's unlikely for anyone to want to compare different sources.

Well that would be much more seamless with the remote. There’s even dedicated buttons for each filter plus you can keep at the listening position. 

Ragu

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58025

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Out of interest, is there a reason you don't like using the remote control? It would do what you're looking for more easily.

^I'm still curious what the answer to this is? 

I use three different sources so at most I ever have to press the Source button on my remote twice to get where I want, and the vast majority of the time it's just once as I'm doing so when going from LAN to Toslink.

I'm just asking as even with the change you're requesting I think the remote control would be the easiest option.

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58027

• ragurix

^I'm still curious what the answer to this is? 

1. First and foremost, it bothers me as a matter of principle :-) I really think that it’s not good interface architecture and user experience to have a more common operation less accessible than a less common one. Now, you’ve shown that there may be users whose priorities differ, but again, I imagine that they are a minority. A preference, even hidden, wouldn’t bother anyone. As a designer, I think about interfaces all day. Call it professional deformation . [To go even further off-topic, I am currently in the market for a car after 15 years of not having one. Looking at all kinds of makes and models, a given car’s interface has quickly shown to be the biggest deal-breaker for me.]

2. The remote control does the same! Here too, the filters each have their own button, but sources require cycling. I’m not complaining about the remote control because a) unlike the SHD itself, the shortcoming can here not simply be solved in software, b) I don’t really use the remote control, see below.

3. The remote control is not very nice-looking nor -feeling.

4. The remote control is easily misplaced.

5. I’m not in the habit of using remote controls. My main sources are a turntable and an iMac. Neither of them remote-controls well.

6. Regardless of whether the remote control “fixes it”, the problem with the device’s interface persists.

Need I go on? 

♥ Ragu

SHD rotary knob: changing sources vs filters 5 months 2 weeks ago #58028

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

The remote control does the same!

I don't think it is the same. I'd argue that the remote control is easier as it's simply pressing the same button a very small number of times to get where you want, rather than a mix of pushing in and then rotating that is required by the control knob (and would stilll be with your suggested change). I don't have to walk across the room to get to the control knob come to that.

I get that you clearly don't like the remote control though - fair enough  .

You probably know but just in case I'll add that it's also possible to change inputs via Volumio, which could be done on a smartphone, tablet or other computer if that appealed.

I'm genuinely not trying to in any way discount your suggestion/request by the way, just making sure you're not missing out on a simpler option you might like given the current functionality.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam