Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bad Firmware upgrade/ now what? 1 year 11 months ago #50050

• Shimei
  • Shimei's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 9
So I just received my brand new DDRC-88A with Bass Management only to discover I have to open up the cover, move a connector and flash to latest firmware because the green sticker is missing from the unit. The flash went bad. I could of swore I chose the right hex file but now nothing. Now what? I'm doubting myself.

Can't connect to the device. The front LEDs are on however. The flashing blue light that was on the board no longer is visible. When using the minidsp utility to flash to latest firmware now says can't connect?

Is my new unit a brick? And if so is there anything to do about it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Shimei.

Bad Firmware upgrade/ now what? 1 year 11 months ago #50062

• Shimei
Customer support walked me through the process of not only "resurrecting" the unit but also in updating it. Very impressive!

Thank you!

Bad Firmware upgrade/ now what? 1 year 6 months ago #52644

Hi,

Can you tell me how you did it. I upgraded the wrong hex file and i am in the same situation you were in.

thanks,

Jerry

Bad Firmware upgrade/ now what? 1 year 6 months ago #52659

• Shimei
I apologize for the delay. Anyhoot, hope this helps!
Enjoy,
Shim

Here's the instructions received from support:

You had updated the MiniDSP-8x8-IO only, below is a few more steps to update the upper small square miniSHARC board to put your unit into normal use.

Please make sure you had switched back the USB port connection to the miniSHARC (upper add-on board)? The header should not be connected to j34 now, it should be moved back to the upper add-on board. See p.54 in user manual:

www.minidsp.com/images/documents/DDRC-88A%20User%20Manual.pdf

Then follow these steps:

1. Power off the DDRC-88 unit, connect DDRC-88 to PC with USB cable.

2. Open DDRC-88BM software, select from the top menu bar: "Restore" → "Upgrade Firmware" → click the "Yes" button, a firmware upgrade tool will pop-up.

3. Press-and-hold the white button on top of the miniSHARC (the upper square add-on board, see DDRC-88BM_mini_white_button_on_sharc.jpg attached in this email) and apply power again, the firmware upgrade tool will show "Device attached", if you see this, you can then release the button.

4. Follow the steps in user manual p.55 (for Windows, see section 9.4.1 steps 6 ~ 9) or p.57 (for Mac, see section 9.4.2 steps 6 ~ 9) to do the firmware upgrade using the firmware file ENC_DDRC88BM_Ver2.2x_SS.hex (available in your downloaded plugin zip package).

5. In the DDRC-88BM software, click the "Connect" button to connect again.

Note: In case the external usb port at the back of the DDRC-88A box cannot work, you can also try connect PC to DDRC-88A's mini-USB port directly with a USB cable to try to connect with DDRC-88-BM plugin, see DDRC-88BM_mini_usb_port_on_sharc.jpg attached in this email.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Shimei.

Bad Firmware upgrade/ now what? 1 year 6 months ago #52660

Thank you, thank you, THANKL YOU!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shimei

• Page:
Moderators: devteam