Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Consider adding ADAT/MADI to your DDRC-88D 2 years 6 months ago #45535

• Sycraft
  • Sycraft's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
For a long time I've wanted good surround room correction in a studio setup and the DDRC-88D seems like it would be an idea product, but it isn't due to its lack of ADAT or MADI IO. While you might think that AES would be really common in the pro world, it isn't. Most interfaces, if they have AES support at all, have just 2 channels of it and usually they don't even truly do that anymore, just having 2 channels of S/PDIF. Almost all multi-channel digital IO is either ADAT or MADI. Some exmaples:
  • RME Fireface UFX II and UFX +: 2 channel AES, 16 channel ADAT, 64 channel MADI for the UFX+
  • Presonus Studio 1824c: 2 channel S/PDIF, 8 channel ADAT
  • Focusrite Scarlette 18i20: 2 channel S/PDIF, 16 channel ADAT
  • Steinberg UR816C: 2 channel S/PDIF, 8 channel ADAT

These are some popular soundcards from some big brands. It is far more common to see ADAT than AES. So if you had ADAT IO (and maybe MADI) this would allow for people to easily get a DDRC-88D and loop the sound out to it for room correction and back in to the card for D/A conversion. It would make it much more useful for home studio, or even pro studio, use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Consider adding ADAT/MADI to your DDRC-88D 2 years 1 month ago #48610

• ratrace
+1

the reason of my subscription here is exactly in the need of a dsp with 2 in and 4 out all adat (or in spdif and out adat) for matching my apollo x8 and keep the DAC of it!

:/

Consider adding ADAT/MADI to your DDRC-88D 1 year 5 months ago #53624

• MeowerPower
I am DESPERATE for an ADAT dac, it baffles me that this isn't offered as an option as as seemingly every other configuration is available...

As is the case with many studio dacs, my focusrite 18i20 has an adat in and out supporting 8ch of digital audio. This is an extremely popular configuration for studio ADACs. A google search for adat interface will reveal that there are dozens of these products that are extremely popular as well.

As sycraft correctly points out ADAT is far more common in multi channel applications like this, in fact the only time i have seen 8ch of AES IO is on other DSP's like a DBX or VERY large and expensive live sound desks where they will be buying the very expensive DBX DSP to go with it, and probably not one of these.

Whatever the license fee for adat, double it and add it to the cost of your product and I bet people would still buy it because the options for ADAT IO on a DSP are extremely limited and usually very expensive.

If this isn't possible on a technical level, i would be curious what the pain points are when it comes to ADAT as there seems to be a lot less ADAT accessories than i'd expect when so many good audio interfaces support it.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam