Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Balanced 2x4 and Phoenix Terminals Suggestions

Balanced 2x4 and Phoenix Terminals Suggestions 1 week 1 day ago #45313

• Petersonz
  • Fresh Boarder
It seems like posts in these forums are kind of rare regarding the 2x4 Balanced version of the MiniDSP. :)

I had a rather interesting experience with the 2x4 Balanced MiniDSP due to the bare wire terminal design of the Phoenix connector...

I tried the only pre-made Phoenix pigtails I could find (And XLR metal only), in order to save me the time of having to strip and attach...

These-> www.amazon.com/s?k=Hosa+Phx-206Fbulk&i=e...onics&ref=nb_sb_noss

They came wired so wrong, that I had to remove the flared shrink tube near the screw terminals in order to re-arrange the pins to match the MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced pinouts.

Also, the wires are stranded 24 gauge making my giant sausage fingers get in the way of pushing the wires in.

24 gauge is also so fine, the copper strands break easily meaning all the shrink tubing and strain reliefs in the world wont prevent the copper from breaking when the cable is tugged on or simply moved around enough...

Also, the Phoenix strips included with the unit have notches at either end of the 6 lugs that match notches knocked out of the case. This prevented the Hosa pre-made Phoenix XLR's (3 lug) not fit in all the way until the plastic notch/polarization plastic pieces were cut off.

Finally, XLR's being metal and huge, are very heavy, and using Phoenix connectors without a strain relief on them means movement that can tear the copper out of the screw terminals or break them outright.

So, I would like to suggest that the Balanced version of any future MiniDSP boards have, at the least, either pre-made Phoenix connections to either 1/8 or 1/4 TRRS female connectors or alternatively, the assembled unit in the case have 1/8 TRRS instead of Phoenix. Or 1/8 TRRS soldered to the board..

I would rather use an entire pallet of DeOxit on 1/8 or 1/4 TRRS if I am ever worried about noise from cable movement such as might happen in a recording studio with singers and/or guitarists wandering around the room/stage moving my 1/4 TRRS cables and causing scratchy noises...

Then, I could use my Livewire/Mogami/Mediabridge or other good cables; complete with strain reliefs, soldered connectors, small gauge/flexible wire, oxygen free, etc etc with lightweight cable connectors .

1/8 TRRS and even 1/4 TRRS connectors are a bit lighter than metal XLR's. No more Radio Shacks around to get plastic XLR's. :lol:

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam