Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re:Variable Phase Control? 11 years 5 months ago #1828

• Christian
  • Thank you received: 3
Not sure this is the right place to discuss this but I would not say that phase and delay controls are equivalent.
Introducing delay may impact phase for sure.. at some specific frequencies ;) especially if delay is not applied to the whole signal.

On the other hand, you may introduce some phase shift with no delay, isn't it? :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Variable Phase Control? 11 years 5 months ago #1829

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1381
Variable phase control = All pass filter = phase shifter.. Or whatever subwoofer manufacturers decide to call it. In other words a simple all pass filter. :-)

As for phase vs delay, these topic have already been well covered by others.. e.g. Rod Elliot's site: sound.westhost.com/pcmm.htm#s21
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Re:Variable Phase Control? 10 years 4 weeks ago #5773

• mikele
  • Thank you received: 0
is there any chance to have a sub eq plug in, with extension to 5hz in the near future?

Re: Variable Phase Control? 9 years 7 months ago #7150

• bjorn
I don't see any variable phase control in the plug-ins for my 4x10 Hd.
I need it for multiple subwoofers and is about the only reason I want sell my Behringer DCX2496.

Re: Variable Phase Control? 9 years 7 months ago #7151

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 706
You can do it, but it's not nearly as convenient as the implementation in the DCX2496..nor as variable. You'll have to generate the coefficients for the appropriate all-pass function and paste them into the advanced portion of your plugin......for each phase setting you might want. :)

The Biquad calculator contained in your plug-in doesn't generate these so you'll have to generate the coefficients manually (externally) with an appropriate tool.

Cheers,

Dave.

Re: Variable Phase Control? 9 years 6 months ago #7327

• bjorn

You can do it, but it's not nearly as convenient as the implementation in the DCX2496..nor as variable. You'll have to generate the coefficients for the appropriate all-pass function and paste them into the advanced portion of your plugin......for each phase setting you might want. :)

The Biquad calculator contained in your plug-in doesn't generate these so you'll have to generate the coefficients manually (externally) with an appropriate tool.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks. What would be an appropriate tool? I don't know how to calculate this and exactly how and what to write.

Re: Variable Phase Control? 9 years 6 months ago #7329

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 706
It's right here in the Tools ("Advanced Biquad programming") section of the website. (Download the spreadsheet and use the APF tab.)

www.minidsp.com/applications/advanced-to...d-biquad-programming

Actually, the more that I think about it, the DCX2496 implementation may not be as versatile as the miniDSP since the phase control is tied to the selected xover frequency and not able to be programmed independently like the miniDSP. It's also a first-order all-pass configuration only, whereas the miniDSP allows to program second-order all-pass also. (That may or may not be an issue for overall design.)

A variable-phase-control seems to me to be a feature that may no longer be necessary in a platform that has pure delay capability.

Cheers,

Dave.

Re: Variable Phase Control? 9 years 5 months ago #7728

• dguarnaccia
I'd also be interested in a Sub plugin, that supports phase. This is exactly why I bought the 2x4 kit.

Is there any update or timeframe for this? I would gladly buy an additional plug in if you added more PEQ bands for only 2 channels. I really just need to control 2 sets of amps (front and back of room)

Variable Phase Control? 11 months 2 weeks ago #56072

• Fximaging
Hi guys. I install custom outdoor sound systems in people’s backyards with Anywhere from 8 to 16 satellite speakers with 3 to 4 burial subwoofers. In order to get the bass response to sound perfect in the Main listening area, I have to use a separate subwoofer amplifier for each woofer that has a 0 to 360° Phase control. I would love to be able to use a four channel Dsp amplifier like the Klipsch kda-1000, or the sonance dsp8-130 mkii, But every time I try to use one of those amps I can’t get the bass region to sound right. I would love to have a mini DSP that I could use in front of the amplifiers to give me the phase  control that I need, As well as full parametric equalization. 

Last edit: by Fximaging. Reason: Soellibg

Variable Phase Control? 11 months 2 weeks ago #56085

• mdsimon2
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 88
This is a pretty old thread but the answer to what you want is explained a few posts up. With the advanced biquad programming feature you can implement any all pass filter you want and you can also implement pure delay. With miniSHARC based platforms you also have the ability to implement frequency response independent phase correction with FIR filters.

So in short the functionality already exists.

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: denver8me4dinner

• Page:
Moderators: devteam