Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.

TOPIC: Beefier headphone amp, please!

Beefier headphone amp, please! 5 days 17 hours ago #43281

miniDSP has an impressive product line-up. I'm using already the UMIK-1 and I've just purchased the 2x4 HD.

What's missing from the panoply is a headphone amp that could compete with existing amps in this field. The HA-DSP looks very good, but it's more akin to the JDS C5D (with DSP added) - a portable amp, decent enough power, and of course the awesome DSP capabilities of the miniDSP products. But not much more than that.

A lot of hobbyists out there would probably not consider using the HA-DSP as their primary amp, which is a shame, because the biggest impact on sound quality is always made by the sound processing in the digital chain. However, this could be remedied.

Drop the battery. Use a more powerful chipset for the output. Scale up the power supply accordingly. Deliver 1 W continuous into a 32 ohm load. Make sure THD is very low even at maximum power. Re-design the box so it looks less like a tiny little portable amp and more like a "serious" desktop amp (think of the JDS Element or similar), keep the existing DSP capabilities, or use a DSP like the 2x4 HD - then you'd have a killer product on your hands.

In terms of output power, place it in a realm similar to the RME ADI-2 DAC (if you can deliver at least 1 W / 32 ohm then it's fine). In terms of DSP I think you'd beat the RME anyway. Keep the price well below the RME (which is a great product but too expensive for what it does). I think a lot of audiophile enthusiasts would be interested in something like that. I know I would.
Last Edit: 4 days 18 hours ago by FlorinAndrei.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam