Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is the optional Forum header for the Suggestion Box.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 3 years 1 day ago #42897

• rhollan
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Add my voice to Linux support, Heck just the programming APIs over USB to or Ethernet to control the devices after configuration would be nice. Start small.

We can, and do, reverse engineer these things, but a spec would be so much better.

We could sync volume control across multiple units, etc.

Actual configuration could be a next step. CLIs or libraries are fine.

It is a royal pain to borrow my daughter's laptop when I want to make minor changes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghislain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 10 months ago #50194

• ghislain
  • Thank you received: 0
I can't understand why after paid a hardware that i can't use it whithout use a friends's computer or a virtual machine for that.
Really, that's so much work ?
You have support for osX (Unix base), Win10, android (linux base !!!) and IOS...

Why there isn't support for GNU/Linux ?
For the less, the spec's for the community ?

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 10 months ago #50224

• aml
  • aml's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
topic creator back in here... 5 years ago i written that post.
MiniDSP out from the drawer and back up running in the home studio. Sounds good :-)
Control for the board using Oracle Virtualbox running windows XP... i set it up in last couple of months, adobe crap and micro$oft NET b*lshit downloaded from oldversion.com. It works all good.
All running on a debian sid system.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ghislain

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 10 months ago #50228

• ghislain
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank's to you ; it's with this topic i've decided to buy a minidsp... Minidsp thank's to you !

I'm using QEMU/libvirt and it works fine... For a look !
But, if you are trying to make some new speakers with X time trying this and this it becomes just unbearable !!!
Even without looking the data transfert from/to linux's soft.

Last edit: by ghislain.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 4 months ago #54195

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 4
** Bump ** (again):)
Surely this could be resolved with some sort of liscensing?
Make an API and set the pluggin freeeeeee and let the crap fly!
Stratergy worked well for GNULinux, google(philasophically)^^
Even microsoft forced to include WSL, lol

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 4 months ago #54212

• mrene
  • Thank you received: 31
I should have 2x8 support in github.com/mrene/minidsp-rs soon (pre-built binaires are available in the releases section for linux/mac/win, incl. for raspberry pis).

In the meanwhile you shoud be able to change the master settings (source, vol, mute, config preset) by using "minidsp --usb 04d8:003f"

EDIT: Feel free to open issues for feature requests, an http interface is on the way and there has been a some integrations by the BEQ community already for setting input PEQ filters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mamba76

Last edit: by mrene.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 4 months ago #54215

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
@emrine :woohoo: Thats great to hear someone approaching this issue. I know now how much of a challenge this is. Dev team mentioned previously about the wifi digi being a step in this direction and http is another I guess. I though about using a usb sniffer to try and reverse engineer some of the functions. It woud be great to be able to alter the PEQ from android but I was thinking first being able to adjust volume for individual drivers and also the timing. At the end of the day the timing between mids and subs can only be finalized by ear. ie when your driving and playing at higher volumes and you hear a tune that exposes slightly off timing you could correct it on the fly. That would be brilliant and for me the main purpose. Some things you just cant tune whilst in the garage with a measurement mic.

Iv done no practical experimentation yet, just ideas. Can we confirm the pluggin binary was compiled with C?? What you are doing is on the edge of what I can understand atm. Are you extracting anything from the pluggin (exe) binary or are you using sniffer program?

One issue I can see and address is that having any permanent USB connection (streaming and/or pluggin use) from source unit to dsp will introduce unacceptable noise. This can be resolved with inline optical isolation.

Ill read through you GIT page as would love to get into the specifics about how you are going about this and may contact you through there, good job.

ps. Another use I can invisage is using another joycon interface (converts the CAN steering controls to usb input device) to control volume pots (potentiometers) which can be assigned to alter the timings etc via a mechanical knob on the fly, very useful..

Last edit: by mamba76.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 4 months ago #54218

• mrene

Can we confirm the pluggin binary was compiled with C??

The plugins are using adobe air, which cannot interface with USB directly, so there is a helper program listening on a port and then forwarding each frame to/from USB HID. You can see packets using a packet sniffer like Wireshark. What I ended up doing is replicating this small forwarder program, which I run on a raspberry pi and connect remotely with the plugin on my laptop. Afterwards it's observing what goes on and mapping out what operation does what. This is part of minidsp-rs, you can run it with "minidsp -vvv server" (the -vvv option will show you all the messages going through and what they mean).

Most settings are controlled by addresses which are part of the xml config, getting these is the first step in supporting a new device (right now the 2x4HD's addresses are the only ones supported out of the box)

You should be able to tune input/output peqs and delays/crossovers using the command line interface (which supports reading commands from a file, so you can easily make presets that can be applied on demand).

Wrt to noise, there isn't going to be much data over the USB line, and the device is designed for audio via usb. Although I guess it does introduce an electrical path in between the devices, I don't have any issue with my 2x4HD.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 4 months ago #54221

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I forgot about Adobe Air. TBH not had a chance to mess about with things for a while but will try to get familiar with what you are doing.

Im just getting ready a Lenovo M8FHD for my new head unit, much better than the Nexus 7. Still trying to figure out how to add more volume steps (30 nstead of 15) not much available on XDA yet so Iv pulled the entire image (mccblk0) to my PC to explore it in detail. Im fairly new to the power of Linux so if anyone knows where I should be looking - user space? HAL? would appreciate it. You can see my threads on XDA. Following with interest!

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 2 months ago #55120

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
@mrene

Just wandered how progress was going with intergrating some of the plugin features on your android device?
As I understand the process goes -

1) communicate with minidsp device as per usual with x86 windows machine
2) connect sniffing device between the connection
3) perform a command from within plugin ie change output volume
4) record / save the bitream / packets sent to the minidsp
5) establish a connection between the Xmos USB controller in the minidsp and an android device
6) send the saved bitstream / packet(s) to the minidsp
7) hope it achieves the same thing as before with the windows machine. ie change output volume

This would be awsome if some select features of a plugin could be used from an Android device.
For me the useful ones would be -
1) master volume
2) output gain
3) timing (particularily the subs)

Too much focus is on REW and microphone setup which is great fun! And really does work and is truly a powerful tool but somethings REALLY need to be fine tuned by ear and require on-the-fly interface to adjust the above and as for the PROBLEMS regarding master volume control from varying sources, COME ON dev Team this is school boy stuff, GIVE US MORE OPTIONS to connect to our cars! Look at the JoyCon car PC (£30) it can convert most any cars CANBUS steering wheel controls to a HID input. Does MiniDSP have a simple HID controller available? NO.

Cheers and Good luck!

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 2 months ago #55122

• mrene
I don't have an android device so getting support specifically for android isn't in my plans. Chrome does have WebHID support now (no idea whether android supports it), so it would technically be feasible to control the device from the browser, and one could re-use the libraries I have built in order to do so.

You don't need to do much to be able to view the protocol, if you just run
minidsp server -vvv
it will happily print out all decoded commands so you can know exactly what to send. The commands are based on addresses that are defined in the xml configuration file shipped with the plugin apps.

Does MiniDSP have a simple HID controller available? NO.

Not sure what you mean here, the protocol IS based on USB-HID.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 2 months ago #55127

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks mrene thats valuable info, sounds like could be a job for node.js (google v8). Will refer back to that info.
RE HID, just mean I have a HID output from my steering wheel remote (via joycon CAN converter) and want to use that to control master volume. Iv really not got much experience playing around with hardware but am itching to get involved but been too busy learning coding and the day job to find time for something else.

Is the wired remote HID protocol ?
Do you think its possible to hack it using some usb device as a go between?
Iv come un prepared here but Iv spend a lot of time lately trying to get more volume steps on my new Lenovo M8 tab, turns out all the prop mods dont work which has really pissed me off

- android.stackexchange.com/questions/2363...ovo-m8-tab-htc-sense

Ill have to come back here when the clouds have cleared!
Neccessity is the mother of all inventions, what was the reason for your CLI if you don't mind in laymens terms? Cheers

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 2 months ago #55128

• mrene
Initially I just wanted to control it from linux since I was using a 2x4HD on my desktop. I've since then moved that unit to our living room and I now have a raspberry pi hooked up to it permanently. The project initially was using node.js and supported changing the basic settings. Over the time there was some issues with libraries not working with new node.js versions, and I wanted to get some practice using Rust as a language, so I rewrote it over the holidays, and expanded it to support changing all other settings (which is now being used by the BEQ community over at AVS). It's a side project so I don't put a ton of time into it, I just finished adding an HTTP API so people can write apps that directly control settings, and the next step will be to expand the devices it supports (most of their products seem to use a similar protocol).

The wired protocol is using HID, so you can control these devices from pretty much anything as long as you send the right commands.

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 2 months ago #55129

• mamba76
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
I think its about time I bought a rasberry pi, I actually have a spare cdsp6x8 too. I was thinking this maybe could be done by software alone, by communicating with the xmos controller directly but I dont know enough about that yet except its sending 1s and 0s! The pi's open a lot of doors. Im new to Linux but not Node.js so look foward to getting up and running on dedicated machine (VMs just another headache). Ill catch up with this when better prepared.

For me I think a reasonable goal would be to see if I can get your commands to work from an android, device, given the linux base and given the amount of work thats been put into your project, I hope one day I can contribute. Maybe a first step would be for me to try your CLI from windows VM after all, what one would you suggest WSL / VirtualBox ?

Thanks

2x8 control by linux/android/anything else 1 year 2 months ago #55196

• mrene
There are windows binaries available , you don't need a VM to try things.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mamba76

• Page:
Moderators: devteam