Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section is dedicated to showcasing or sharing valuable information about Subwoofer Tuning
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Timing adjustment when main speakers are not connected to the DSP 1 month 3 weeks ago #56205

• cunim
  • cunim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have dual subs in a system used for both stereo and HT.  My plan is to run main out 2 of my preamp to an HD4 x 10, and then feed just the powered subs from the outputs.  The mains will continue,using their own amp and full range preamp out   Inserting the 4 x 10 in the circuit before the main speakers is not an option.  I have had any number of room correction processors (inclduing Dirac) and have always ended up preferring the sound without  I have also used electronic crossovers and never found one that I liked above about 100 Hz .  So I just have a simple powered sub application and the 4 x 10 seems like it will do everything I need for that.  Except....

I need to delay the mains relative to the subs if I am going to play around with time alignment in REW.  However, given that I am just driving the subs with the 4 x 10, I don't think electronic delay will be possible.  Is there some trick to time align subs under these conditions, or am I going to end up dragging them around? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Timing adjustment when main speakers are not connected to the DSP 1 month 3 weeks ago #56251

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 686
The inherent 4x10Hd latency is only 200uS.  So, I don't think that will be much of an issue.

Your planned configuration is has so many limitations relative to what you could achieve using the 4x10 capabilities, that I don't see much point in using it.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Timing adjustment when main speakers are not connected to the DSP 1 month 3 weeks ago #56252

• cunim
  • cunim's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks.  I changed my order to an SHD and I hope you are right about latency being solvable.

As to why I do things the way I do - basically not using DSP above 100 Hz - that is much deeper issue and not relevant to most audio systems.  Let's just say there are reasons that Wilson and JL Audio still make (and recommend) hi-end analog Xovers that allow driving subs the way I do.  One of those xovers would make a lot of sense in my system/room environment, but I am curious about how well the minidsp can do the same job.

Timing adjustment when main speakers are not connected to the DSP 1 month 3 weeks ago #56253

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 686
I didn't say the latency was solvable.  I said it was inherent, but because of it's small value shouldn't be an issue.

But, I'm afraid you have a much bigger issue now because the minimum latency of the SHD is 25mS.  So, much higher.  (Equivalent to about 10 meters distance.)
I'm not sure what your plan is, but the 4x10HD and SHD are apples and oranges.

Dave.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam