Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section is dedicated to showcasing or sharing valuable information about Subwoofer Tuning
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Four subs, Two 15” and two 10” to be calibrated 1 year 4 months ago #50701

• Hortaja
  • Hortaja's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all.

I’m new to MiniDSP and REW but excited to tweak my room. Quick first question. My two 10” Triad Bronze SlimSubs should (per Triad) get a low pass filter at 30 hz. Well this week I wish to calibrate the bass in my room. Meaning Gain match, level match, phase integration, and equalize all subs as one single sub. My only concern is my two front subs are larger and can go much deeper (Power Sound Audio S1500). I have the two 10” on the side walls. Do I just treat them all the same, gain, level, etc, but on my 10" just put the low pass of 30 hz first?

Thank you
Jerry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Four subs, Two 15” and two 10” to be calibrated 1 year 4 months ago #50713

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 309
My gut reaction is to not use the 10" subs at all as I can't seen how you'd be able to meaningfully integrate them with the PSAs due to the wildly greater output capabilities of the latter.

Four subs, Two 15” and two 10” to be calibrated 11 months 3 days ago #54071

• DanE10
Jerry,
That sounds like a good variety of subs for a multi sub array. Given that they are different, you'll need to set eq and gain separately for each, but you'll probably be doing that anyway, especially if they are scattered around the room. There's an excellent thread over at diyaudio, in the subwoofer forum, Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach. It's got an good discussion of the methods to calibrate a set of subs.
Dan

Four subs, Two 15” and two 10” to be calibrated 11 months 2 days ago #54072

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Jerry,
That sounds like a good variety of subs for a multi sub array. Given that they are different, you'll need to set eq and gain separately for each, but you'll probably be doing that anyway, especially if they are scattered around the room. There's an excellent thread over at diyaudio, in the subwoofer forum, Multiple Small Subs - Geddes Approach. It's got an good discussion of the methods to calibrate a set of subs.
Dan

You've replied to a thread that is over 4 months old...

There is a lot of merit to using lots of small and cheaper subs. The difference here is that the OP has two very capable subwoofers in the form of PSA S1500s and these would be wasted in such an approach, in that only a fraction of their capability would likely end up being used. I would either just use the two big subs, or sell then and buy more smaller ones instead if a Geddes style approach was the goal.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

Four subs, Two 15” and two 10” to be calibrated 11 months 1 day ago #54100

• DanE10
I don't follow why the more capable subs would be wasted. Geddes approach doesn't require that all subs are similar, neither in extension nor gain. What issues do you Hortaja would run into integrating the different subs?
Dan

Last edit: by DanE10.

Four subs, Two 15” and two 10” to be calibrated 11 months 1 day ago #54108

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

I don't follow why the more capable subs would be wasted. Geddes approach doesn't require that all subs are similar, neither in extension nor gain. What issues do you Hortaja would run into integrating the different subs?
Dan

The benefit of multiple subwoofers comes from equal amplitude signals from each having phase relationships that minimise peaks and minima in the bass response. If you have two subs with much higher amplitude output than the other two then the smaller subs won't achieve much. If you have them all adjusted to the same level then this only works up to the limits of the smaller subs, with them likely being pushed to higher distortion levels than is desirable and the larger subs having lots of wasted headroom. In the frequency region where there is only meaningful output from the larger subs you basically have a two sub not a four sub system anyway.

Of course the closer in performance different subs are the less significant the above limitations are but in this case the gulf in performance is HUGE. Hence my advice.

For context in case you haven't looked we're talking about two of these:

triadspeakers.com/products/subwoofwer/on...r/ow-bronze-slimsub/

plus two of these:

www.powersoundaudio.com/products/S1500

(I own one of the slightly newer S1510 subs from PSA by the way.)

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam