Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section is dedicated to showcasing or sharing valuable information about Subwoofer Tuning
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 7 years 1 week ago #17362

• AustinJerry
  • AustinJerry's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 49

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AustinJerry.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 7 years 1 week ago #17365

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1588
Hi Jerry, nice work! A minor nit: the title says "MiniDSP 4x2" - I believe that should be "miniDSP 2x4" ;)

I'm wondering about steps 1, 4, and 5. In step 1 you optimize placement for flattest response. But won't changing the time delays in step 4 and the individual levels in step 5 change the response? I'm curious to know if you found that to be the case.
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Last edit: by john.reekie.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 7 years 1 week ago #17369

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Hi Jerry, nice work! A minor nit: the title says "MiniDSP 4x2" - I believe that should be "miniDSP 2x4" ;)

I'm wondering about steps 1, 4, and 5. In step 1 you optimize placement for flattest response. But won't changing the time delays in step 4 and the individual levels in step 5 change the response? I'm curious to know if you found that to be the case.

Good feedback, John. First of all, I have fixed the document title to read 2x4, thanks for pointing that out.

You make a good point regarding the delay settings and the sub levels impacting the measurements that would be used to optimize the sub locations. Let me give that some thought. It would be a simple matter to rearrange the sections so they read like this:

- Set up the MiniDSP
- Measure sub physical distances and set delays in the MiniDSP
- Gain-match the subs
- Using REW measurements, optimize sub placements
- Determine gain structure
- Measure sub response, calculate and apply EQ filters (optional)
- Run room calibration

Does this match the order that you feel is appropriate. "Determine gain structure" really can occur anywhere in the order, as far as I can tell. Let me know your thoughts, and then I'll apply the changes.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 7 years 1 week ago #17383

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Revised version has been posted at the original link, with the section order re-arranged per John's recommendations.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 7 years 6 days ago #17397

• devteam
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1338
Wow Jerry... What a great app note! We're really impressed by the work that you must have been putting into documenting your experience so well for the community! Very good work!

Is it possible for us to post this great tutorial in the "Community powered section"?
www.minidsp.com/support/community-powered-tutorials

We'll come back with some comments shortly.
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 7 years 6 days ago #17403

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Wow Jerry... What a great app note! We're really impressed by the work that you must have been putting into documenting your experience so well for the community! Very good work!

Is it possible for us to post this great tutorial in the "Community powered section"?

Please post the guide where it will be most useful. If you have suggestions for revising the document based on your knowledge and experience, kindly let me know and I'll make the necessary changes.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 5 years 4 months ago #27398

• chongnt
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,

Newbie here.
Is the dropbox link down?
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/Min...uide%20Rev%201.4.pdf

Actually I am trying to setup 2.1 system with miniDSP 2x4 HD without receiver. Basically to time-align subwoofer with both front channel speaker. My setup is as follow:
pc (source) -> USB DAC -> miniDSP 2x4HD (via analog input) -> front bookshelf speakers + 1 subwoofer

Last weekend setup the crossover frequency and PEQ using RAW and UMIK-1. EQ cutoff few bumps for bass and around 200-500Hz. The sound really open up and much clearer. Couldn't believe it can makes so much difference!
Will try to bypass the USB DAC and make use of the built-in DAC in miniDSP in the coming weekend.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 5 years 4 months ago #27400

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Hi,

Newbie here.
Is the dropbox link down?
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/Min...uide%20Rev%201.4.pdf

Actually I am trying to setup 2.1 system with miniDSP 2x4 HD without receiver. Basically to time-align subwoofer with both front channel speaker. My setup is as follow:
pc (source) -> USB DAC -> miniDSP 2x4HD (via analog input) -> front bookshelf speakers + 1 subwoofer

Last weekend setup the crossover frequency and PEQ using RAW and UMIK-1. EQ cutoff few bumps for bass and around 200-500Hz. The sound really open up and much clearer. Couldn't believe it can makes so much difference!
Will try to bypass the USB DAC and make use of the built-in DAC in miniDSP in the coming weekend.

Sorry, when I updated the Guide, the file name changed. Here is a link to the current version:

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/78476446/Min...Latest%20Version.pdf

Unfortunately, this guide does not address the issue you are facing. I cannot advise you on how to time-align a 2.1 configuration. I recommend you visit the REW Forum on Home Theater Shack. Search for threads on how to use REW to time align speakers.

www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 5 years 4 months ago #27401

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Kindly update the link to the guide to be:

I have removed the version number from the link so that it will not change in the future. And can you change the spelling in the thread title from 4x2 to 2x4?

Thanks.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 4 years 5 months ago #32879

• zydeco
  • Thank you received: 3

I have removed the version number from the link so that it will not change in the future. And can you change the spelling in the thread title from 4x2 to 2x4?

Thanks.

I'm unable to get to this file using the above link. Is the document still available? And, if so, then please let us know the new link or location. Thanks in advance.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 4 years 5 months ago #32881

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks.

I'm unable to get to this file using the above link. Is the document still available? And, if so, then please let us know the new link or location. Thanks in advance.

Here is the link: 2x4 Setup Guide
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 2 years 11 months ago #40428

• moves
  • Thank you received: 2
The only problem with that file are the instructions to load the Linkwitz Transform. The screen shot in the document does not reflect what is in the file for the input parameters.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 2 years 11 months ago #40429

• AustinJerry
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

The only problem with that file are the instructions to load the Linkwitz Transform. The screen shot in the document does not reflect what is in the file for the input parameters.

I always appreciate feedback, but if you are going to comment, it would be useful if you provided the specific page number where you are finding something that needs correcting. Thanks.

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 2 years 11 months ago #40432

• moves

I always appreciate feedback, but if you are going to comment, it would be useful if you provided the specific page number where you are finding something that needs correcting. Thanks.

So sorry... I was refering to a different file.. not the one in this thread. I was refering to this:

www.minidsp.com/applications/advanced-to...4jk3_PBoC6NIQAvD_BwE

Using MiniDSP 2x4 to Time-Align Multiple Subs 2 years 11 months ago #40463

• moves
Not sure if I understand the gain match... if you measure at the speaker but are looking for an approx 75db at the listening position... you are still measuring at the listening position so not sure what the purpose of the measurement at the speaker will give you. I understand that it removes the effect of the room but not sure how you are using the measurement at the speaker distance.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam