Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 4 weeks ago #61778

• jan.didden
  • jan.didden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi, 
I have the plugin for my FLEX with DIRAC isntalled on the lab PC, no issues there.
I also installed the FLEX app on the laptop so I can move to where I need to set it up. That also worked OK.
I then tried to install the DIRAC package on the laptop, de-installed the plugin and then installed the plugin with DIRAC, but that didn't work.
I get an error code 'unable to write to C://Program Files (X86) .... dirac.exe'.
It is the same directory it is installed in on the main machine.
I looked into that directory and it was set to read-only. I changed that to allow all operations, but whenever I retry the install, it fails again and the folder is again set to read-only.
Then I thought, maybe I am only allowed one install on one computer for my user account?
That would be a big bummer. Any ideas?

Jan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 4 weeks ago #61779

• jan.didden
OK, after cleaning out also the driver, got it to install without complaints.
DDRC24 V1.16. Driver installed OK. Starting the program, connects to the FLEX correctly.
But. When I select 'Start Dirac live' it breaks the connection (presumably because the Dirac app has it's own connection function), and then ... nothing.
Apart from disconnecting, nothing happens. 
I can re-connect, that succeeds, and I can work with it, but anytime I attempt to call up Dirac it disconnects and sits there.
Why is this so hard ??

If it is important: the install that works on the main PC says it is Dirac 3.3.0 build 874-820e6c84 .

Jan

Last edit: by jan.didden.

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61822

• jan.didden
Nobody? I've been in touch with Tech Support at miniDSP but they can't get any further than 'Do a clean install of the latest version'.
Duh, I've done that a zillion times.
Did anybody here have an issue with Flex/DDRC-24 calling (or not) Dirac Live?

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61825

• dreite
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 753
Jan,

I'm not an expert on Dirac licensing, but I believe you've answered your own question in the first post with the bummer comment.
I think the Dirac license is good for one computer only.
Somebody can correct me if wrong.

Dave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jan.didden

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61826

• jan.didden
Dave, I forgot about about that.
I have a lab PC that has it installed and that runs fine, DDRC-24 calls Dirac when requested.
But I need it on the laptop too for mobile work. And on the laptop, DDRC-24 doesn't call Dirac BUT I can call the Dirac app directly and it looks like it detects the Flex and proceeds to the cal and measurements (I haven't completed the process yet). So that could be a workaround, if indeed it completes; I'll check that out tomorrow.
So that seems to mean that you can run it on more than one machine.
But I have also tried it on another older laptop and there Dirac, when called directly, says the Flex reacts unexpectedly and tells me to reset the Flex (which doesn't help).

I'll ask Support.

Edit: The Dirac FAQ says that a license is tied to a specific hardware unit, so it should run on any machine where that hardware unit is connected to.

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61827

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 518

Edit: The Dirac FAQ says that a license is tied to a specific hardware unit, so it should run on any machine where that hardware unit is connected to.

Reading through the thread that's what I was about to say myself.

You may realise but the plugin disconnecting when you click on Launch Dirac Live is normal. In fact there is not reason to connect to the plugin prior to clicking on this.

I had an issue recently where although Dirac would open it couldn't find my connected device (an SHD). The cause turned out to be my anti-virus software. Just possibly you're having a similar issue that is preventing the software even opening?

Which version of Dirac Live do you have installed on your laptop and does it open if you run it directly rather than via the plugin? (You can't use it this way but just asking to help understand what's going on.) There's no harm in trying uninstalling whatever version of Dirac Live it is and trying a different one in case it helps.

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61828

• jan.didden

Reading through the thread that's what I was about to say myself.

You may realise but the plugin disconnecting when you click on Launch Dirac Live is normal. In fact there is not reason to connect to the plugin prior to clicking on this.

Yes I understand it is normal, you can only have one app controlling the device.

I had an issue recently where although Dirac would open it couldn't find my connected device (an SHD). The cause turned out to be my anti-virus software. Just possibly you're having a similar issue that is preventing the software even opening?

I will check that. I have only the standard Windows Bitdefender active.

Which version of Dirac Live do you have installed on your laptop and does it open if you run it directly rather than via the plugin? (You can't use it this way but just asking to help understand what's going on.) There's no harm in trying uninstalling whatever version of Dirac Live it is and trying a different one in case it helps.

I tried both V 3.3.3 and 3.3.0 (that last one is the one that runs correctly on the lab PC). 
No difference.

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61830

• jan.didden
One thing in the back of my head is how the licensing/log-in for the Dirac app goes.
How does it 'know' I have a valid license?
It never asks for a login or anything.

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61831

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

One thing in the back of my head is how the licensing/log-in for the Dirac app goes.
How does it 'know' I have a valid license?
It never asks for a login or anything.

Jan

The device is essentially the licence. When it finds the Dirac Live enabled device it allows the software to run.

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61832

• jan.didden
But miniDSP says that if you sell the device you have to 'transfer' the license which requires some action.
So it seems to be connected to a user as well.
I wonder how that works.

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61833

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

But miniDSP says that if you sell the device you have to 'transfer' the license which requires some action.
So it seems to be connected to a user as well.
I wonder how that works.

Jan

That is to get access to the miniDSP software ('plugin'), it doesn't relate to Dirac Live other than that you need to use the miniDSP software to launch the DL software - it just tells it to launch in the way it looks for the device.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jan.didden

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61834

• jan.didden
OK, clear, thanks.
Still doesn't give me an insight why my DDRC-24 doesn't call my Dirac app.
Support seems to have fallen silent too. Ohh well, I can always fall back to REW, but a pity for my $199.
I wonder if I can get that money back.

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61835

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
What was the answer to my question about whether DL can be launched OK directly, rather than using the via the button in the plugin? And I take it disabling you anti-virus made no difference?

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61836

• jan.didden
On one laptop I can launch DL directly and it runs OK.
On the other, it keeps complaining that the Flex 'behaves in unexpected ways, please reset it' which doesn't fix the complaints.
I will check the virus stuff, I don't have any on either machine except what is internal to W10.
Not very familiar with that but will try to find out.

Edit: I checked the settings for 'allow apps to communicate through the Windows Firewall' and both DDRC-24 and Dirac Live are set to Allow.

Jan

DDRC/FLEX Dirac install fails 4 months 3 weeks ago #61837

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

On one laptop I can launch DL directly and it runs OK.
On the other, it keeps complaining that the Flex 'behaves in unexpected ways, please reset it' which doesn't fix the complaints.
I will check the virus stuff, I don't have any on either machine except what is internal to W10.
Not very familiar with that but will try to find out.

Edit: I checked the settings for 'allow apps to communicate through the Windows Firewall' and both DDRC-24 and Dirac Live are set to Allow.

Jan

First I was suggesting temporarily disabling the anti-virus, not just checking it's settings. 

I'm getting a bit confused now. You started off saying you had everything working on a 'lab PC' (a desktop?) but not on a laptop, but now you're referring to two laptops? On the laptop where Dirac Live opens OK, is it still the case that DL won't launch correctly via the plugin?

• Page:
Moderators: devteam