Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Unusually strong notch EQ 1 month 3 weeks ago #61528

• TinEars
  • TinEars's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I'm trying to integrate two fairly large subwoofers into two decently sized speakers using the MSO tutorial and I'm having difficulty with one particularly high peak that is ~+40DB relative to the rest of the system output. The built in PEQ (and MSO) will not allow me to handle such a large peak, and I'd rather not reduce the output gain since that would drop the otherwise useful levels outside of the peak below the target reference.

I saw online someone demonstrate a method of exceeding the GUI limits but I'm not sure if it's still applicable or the preferred method. Should I be reducing the gain on the initial routing matrix and then boost the areas below reference via PEQ and output gain? I'm unclear at what point I'll be distorting the signal vs doing digital signal manipulation within the processing envelope.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusually strong notch EQ 1 month 3 weeks ago #61534

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 448
What miniDSP product are you using? It's possible to define notch filters that exceed the range shown on the GUI on the ones I've used (2 x 4 HD and SHD), and I bet it's true of the Flex as well.

Unusually strong notch EQ 1 month 3 weeks ago #61535

• TinEars
  • TinEars's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
In this case it is the Flex so that bodes well, would I be able to generate the bi-quad filter info from REW, export it as a txt file and then import into the plug-in using the advanced section?

I guess normally I would have to add an EQ block in MSO with a set value so it takes it into account, but since MSO doesn't accept such strong filters I guess I would just keep it engaged during the measurements and mentally track that I have 1 less EQ filter available to let MSO use.

Unusually strong notch EQ 1 month 3 weeks ago #61536

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 448

In this case it is the Flex so that bodes well, would I be able to generate the bi-quad filter info from REW, export it as a txt file and then import into the plug-in using the advanced section?

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes but just try it to know for certain.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam