Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tips for designing filters to INCREASE temporal distortion? 4 months 2 weeks ago #59252

• madmax_br5
  • madmax_br5's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm interested in using the openDRC to implement digital filters which can replicate some of the harmonic effects of tube amplifiers such as 2nd, 3rd, and 4th order harmonic distortion and energy storage. It should be possible as this is exactly what is done on the Neural DSP (neuraldsp.com) for replicating the sound of guitar amplifiers, and this DSP is also based on the SHARC chipset. I'd appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction for this type of filter design. 

Also, this might be a silly question, but how about summing two filters? Let's say I have one filter that corrects the phase response of my playback system (to be as neutral as possible), and then another filter that adds distortion to mimic the tube effect. Can I sum these together into one single filter?

Thanks for any advice!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tips for designing filters to INCREASE temporal distortion? 3 months 3 weeks ago #59760

• riccati
Linear filters like the FIR and IIR filters in a miniDSP can not create that kind of distortion. They can affect the frequency response, but not add new frequencies that were not present in the input (harmonic distortion).

To add new frequencies you need nonlinear distortion such as the soft clipping effect of tubes. There are many products that simulate this for guitars, e.g. Line6 products, but I don't know of any for hi fi applications.

Tips for designing filters to INCREASE temporal distortion? 1 month 2 weeks ago #60690

• colorman
Filters are commonly used to reduce noise and improve data quality. Filter theory is part of a scientist’s training, yet the impact of filters on interpreting data is not always fully appreciated. This paper reviews the issue and explains what a filter is, what problems are to be expected when using them, how to choose the right filter, and how to avoid filtering by using alternative tools. Time-frequency analysis shares some of the same problems that filters have, particularly in the case of wavelet transforms. We recommend reporting filter characteristics with sufficient details, including a plot of the impulse or step response as an inset. coloring pages

• Page:
Moderators: devteam