Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FIR as a Highpass filter 7 months 1 week ago #58610

• The4thMan
  • The4thMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Is it possible to make a Highpass filter let's 48db per Octave at 30hz using the FIR slot on the 2x4HD ?

I'm asking because I need to protect my subs and let the input signal reach my Buttkickers without using PEQ or Xover as they are already used to align the subs flat.

If I can do it, will it affect timing between the subs and the rest of the system (speakers and BK) currently everything is spot on and I would hate to mess that.

Thanks 

Chris 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

FIR as a Highpass filter 7 months 5 days ago #58652

• planetti
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi Chris,

I am afraid that it does not work as you want.

The 2x4HD has only a very limited number of FIR-taps available which cannot provide such a steep subsonic filter of 48dB at 30Hz. You may simulate the FIR capabilities and limitations by rePhase: doing this it will show you that it could be possible to provide the low pass crossover by the FIR section, then some PEQs/xover/biquads are free to provide your subsonic filter.

But be aware that activating the FIR section will cost you a millisecond delay for calculation in minimum phase filters, when using linear filters (centered) additionally a further amount of milliseconds will be there. Thus your spotted timing should be checked up ...

Regards
Uli

FIR as a Highpass filter 7 months 1 day ago #58776

• The4thMan
  • The4thMan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for your reply.

I ended up realigning my subs to free some PEQ slots for a BW 24dB/oct high pass. It turned out to be much simpler than trying FIR. 

FIR as a Highpass filter 7 months 1 day ago #58777

• Ultrasonic
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 431

I ended up realigning my subs to free some PEQ slots for a BW 24dB/oct high pass. 

Why not just do this directly using the Xover option on your 2x4 HD? Or indeed a LR 48 dB/octave high-pass filter? You won't 'use up' any PEQ slots that way.

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam