Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Mini DSP 10x10 setup as 3.1 from toslink without pre amp? 3 months 6 hours ago #56840

• belgiansound
  • belgiansound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,

I use my 10x10 (non HD, older version) for a while now without a pre amp, actually my TV is kind of the streamer, to stream music but also to wacht movies on netflix. I use the optical out of the TV directly into the mini DSP, linked my TV remote volume buttons to the min dsp, works like a charm. This always worked fine so far in a stereo setup. I currently have 2 front speakers and 2 subwoofers connected, with crossover etc. 

But now I want to add a center, to improve the experience while watching TV, as speach is not always clear. The out of the TV can be set to 5.1, but how can I setup the center? I only have left and right, not center, on the optical out.

I have the '8x8' plugin installed.

Thanks a lot!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mini DSP 10x10 setup as 3.1 from toslink without pre amp? 3 months 6 hours ago #56841

• belgiansound
  • belgiansound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
PS I use the mini dsp as a pre amplifier, and DAC, as I understood it converts anyway the signal to digital and back to analog, so it only adds some more noise. But if I need to add a preamp only to generate the surround, it seems like a waste?

Mini DSP 10x10 setup as 3.1 from toslink without pre amp? 2 months 1 week ago #57129

• TMV
  • Thank you received: 2
To the best of my knowledge the 4*10 and 10*10 do not decode Dolby digital and such only PCM stereo. You will need a decoder of some sort, could be and AVR, do decode and feed analog to the miniDSP 10*10.

• Page:
Moderators: devteam