Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Crossover Biquad vs PEQ Biquad behavior 3 weeks 2 days ago #56827

• marcbittner
  • marcbittner's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks for reading -- I'm hoping someone can help me better understand how the crossover biquads are applied (as opposed to peq biquads)

Background: In the past, I've used the excellent multisub optimizer (www.minidsp.com/applications/subwoofer-tuning/dual-sub-with-mso). For various reasons, I'm not currently. I *am* currently trying to EQ my modified setup using REW+Umik-1/Umik-x/ and a minidsp 2x4 HD.

MSO allows you to use the crossover biquad blocks to supplament available PEQ input/output blocks (so you have more filters).I assumed this meant that biquads could be moved from the input/output channels to the crossover channel. This is not what I'm finding experimentally: The frequency response often differs once a biquad is moved into the crossover block -- in one case, I spent 2 hours trying to understand what the data was telling me before I realized that a 100 percent identical set of bisquads had attenuated the signal for one of my subs entirely when I moved it into the crossover. 

1.  Can someone help me better understand (either through explanation or docs) how the crossover biquad processing differs?

2. Assuming there is such a difference, how can repurpose the crossover biquads the way MSO does useing biquads generated out of REW's correction (or using some other method)?

Thanks,
Mb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crossover Biquad vs PEQ Biquad behavior 3 weeks 2 days ago #56833

• mdsimon2
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 81
I haven't experienced any difference between crossover biquads and PEQ biquads. Can you share the biquads you are trying to implement?

Michael

Crossover Biquad vs PEQ Biquad behavior 3 weeks 2 days ago #56834

• marcbittner
Thanks for the reply. I still have the data that was producing inconsistent frequency responses. I'll verify I can recreate the issue, then add it here. 

Crossover Biquad vs PEQ Biquad behavior 2 weeks 4 days ago #56895

• marcbittner
Update: At this point, I assume this was user error -- Have not been able to reproduce this. I've spent a lot of time generating biquads to correct for my wacky room. I'm guessing I either had an issue where ctrl-c didn't copy to my clipboard and I pasted the wrong set or I just got confused. Thanks to mdsimon2  for his help.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ultrasonic

• Page:
Moderators: devteam