Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 5 months 5 days ago #55869

• BJB
  • BJB's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
The Minidsp has a page  Here  which says:

Filter EQ1 is selected -- this is the only filter having a non-zero gain. All filters having a zero gain are effectively bypassed.

I have a Minidsp 2x4HD.  I have 2 subs connected and I have imported an REW generated PEQ file on both outputs.

I want to add my house curve on my INPUT just by using the minidsp plugin. I liked the tip on this page to try a 40hz plus Xdb Low Shelf curve which gave me a nice slope down to 20hz. Or up to in PEQ lingo.

Anyway, I am using EQ1 for the above but want to play with a few peak filters at say around 60hz to give a little more chest thump.

So that is why I wonder what this means in relation to me using EQ1, 2, and maybe 3 on the input side?

EQ1 is only one with non-zero gain?

Just not getting it. I look at the EQ 1 to 10 as equal in capability?

Thanks,
BJB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 5 months 5 days ago #55871

• Ultrasonic
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 279
The page you've linked to is for the 2x4 plugin, not the 2x4 HD plugin that you are presumably using.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BJB

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 5 months 4 days ago #55888

• BJB
@Ultrasonic,
Thanks!  That was it and I do have the 2X4HD..  However I still liked the information on that page about using the input PEQ for a house curve.  If I may add a question on that....
I used REW to generate my PEQ file which I have imported to my 2 sub outputs on my MiniDSP 2X4HD.  My target was flat sub response on this REW auto-EQ and I did not generate any individual or overall boost as per most advice. I then ran Audyssey which flattened things a little more and added the L/C/R and surround adjustments I needed.

I then started with the suggestion on the web page to use a 40hz plus at say 6db Low Shelf filter to generate a house curve on my input channel in the MiniDSP.  To get the curve I wanted I added a peak filter to make sure there was no boost beyond 100hz as even with the crossover, sometimes I see boominess if that happens. I played around a little bit and using 3 EQ channels got a nice curve. 

This seems to make sense and follows the guidelines in that article (even though it was for the non HD version) I think? It is convenient to have my flat PEQ on the outputs and separate from my house curve. That way I can tweak the house curve without re-generating in REW every time.

My only question is this. REW did a nice job flattening some rises and then Audyssey did a little more.  Of course doing that takes the level down and I had to increase the gain on subs, re-time align and re-run Audyssey so I have most of my gain back, but still need my house curve. But we work so hard to not have too many (or no) boosts when we use REW to generate a PEQ file.... but then here I am putting a 6db boost to generate a house curve in the MiniDSP.  Is that different that having REW calculate boosts and then importing that into the MiniDSP?  Is the concern how REW calculates the filters vs. how MiniDSP processes them?

Any difference which PEQ I put on the input or the output channels?  My "flat PEQ" takes down quite a few frequency peaks to flatten it.  And then of course when I put the house curve in some come back.  But based on the sound I am on the right path!  Don't have the boominess you get when you just boost the sub gain and increase all the freqs.

Sorry for the long post, and just realized a bit off topic but since it is talking about the same article on the web page, thought it was okay to keep on this thread.
Thanks,
BJB

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 4 weeks ago #55940

• BJB
Thanks again for the help. Lots of good info on site and forum. Any input on my house curve on the Minidsp 2x4HD input channel question?  Should I make a separate thread/title?
BJB

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 4 weeks ago #55945

• Ultrasonic
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks again for the help. Lots of good info on site and forum. Any input on my house curve on the Minidsp 2x4HD input channel question?  Should I make a separate thread/title?
BJB

I've never used Audyssey and trying to combine this with what you're doing with your 2x4 HD will get more complicated, as you don't want whatever you run second to undo the work of the first. Can you set target house curves with Audyssey? If not then you'll need to do this with your miniDSP after Audyssey has been run.

Edit: you may be best asking this sort of question on a more AV focused forum by the way. Possibly somewhere like here:

www.avforums.com/forums/subwoofers.127/

Last edit: by Ultrasonic.

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 4 weeks ago #55947

• Ultrasonic
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
As you mentioned Audyssey I'm assuming you're asking for movie use? If so then the following may actually be of interest too if you're not aware of it:

www.avsforum.com/threads/bass-eq-for-filtered-movies.2995212/

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 4 weeks ago #55950

• BJB
Thanks. My question was specific to use of the Minidsp filters inputs/output, gains and cuts so thought here might be appropriate. And I found that article here which sent me down the PEQ on input path.

No problem, I certainly know those forums regarding subs and REW and can ask there too.

Thanks!
BJB

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 4 weeks ago #55951

• Ultrasonic
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Thanks. My question was specific to use of the Minidsp filters inputs/output, gains and cuts so thought here might be appropriate. And I found that article here which sent me down the PEQ on input path.

No problem, I certainly know those forums regarding subs and REW and can ask there too.

Thanks!
BJB

Could you try to briefly state what your exact question is please? You wrote rather a lot above, with a lot of different things thrown into the mix  .

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 3 weeks ago #55959

• BJB
LOL..I did give lots of background!  Yes, only running  Audyssey on my flat PEQ so not neutering house curve. 

My question is this. I generated PEQ file with mostly cuts on my 2 outputs. All advice is limit boosts.

After that article I loaded a manual  house curve with boosts on the input of the minidsp.

Questions;
1. From a minidsp standpoint are boosts like that OK on the input side? 
2. Does it matter if my flat eq cuts and house curve  are on the input or output of minidsp?

Thanks,
BJB

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 3 weeks ago #56001

• Ultrasonic
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

LOL..I did give lots of background!  Yes, only running  Audyssey on my flat PEQ so not neutering house curve. 

My question is this. I generated PEQ file with mostly cuts on my 2 outputs. All advice is limit boosts.

After that article I loaded a manual  house curve with boosts on the input of the minidsp.

Questions;
1. From a minidsp standpoint are boosts like that OK on the input side? 
2. Does it matter if my flat eq cuts and house curve  are on the input or output of minidsp?

Thanks,
BJB

Sorry for the slow reply - I'm having a busy week.

I don't think it makes any practical difference if a boost is applied on an input or an output - the end result is whatever the combination is.

Whether boosts are a good idea depends on a range of factors. They are definitely a bad idea if they're attempted to be used to counter a deep frequency response minima (dip) caused by a room response effect, as it won't be very successful and will also take a lot of amplifier power/speaker headroom, and may noticeably increase distortion. 

House-curve boosts like a general increase in bass output can be OK provided your system has the headroom to handle this (I have a very capable subwoofer that means I do for example). Just be aware that you run the risk of digital clipping if you don't apply attenuation to match the maximum boost somewhere - this can be the master volume for maximum flexibility but many prefer to set it as an input or output 'gain'.

Edit: pictures of the actual spectral changes you're making would make it easier to comment more specifically.

EQ1 is the only filter with "non-zero" gain? 4 months 3 weeks ago #56011

• BJB
Thanks. That makes perfect sense.  I too have been swamped and like what I hear but have not had a chance to re-measure.  And I certainly was careful to not deal with nulls with my initial REW PEQ.  But by only cutting with my PEQ, and generating a basic house curve within the MiniDSP manual PEQ, I've heard clean deap bass without boominess that I have not had before. Thanks so much for the reply.

BJB

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ultrasonic

• Page:
Moderators: devteam