Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

FIR filters? 1 year 4 months ago #54753

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
I can see where this phase correction might be useful in certain situations.

For example, I'm currently running a 5.1 full-active setup using a matched set of 5 speaker enclosures - all the same shape & size, same drivers, etc. Naturally I've programmed identical crossover slopes for all, The phase shift curve for the 8-pole filters is certainly kinda scary-looking on paper, but since all of the speakers are "taking the same roller-coaster ride," they all remain phase-cohesive with each other (barring additional room effects of course). This is the important detail, I think. I'm sure there are plenty of other setups that might use different speakers (with different phase characteristics) for center channel or surround; I assume some phase neutrality could be beneficial in a situation like that. Like so many things in life, it's all relative. :)

I'm currently planning a multichannel car install using various miniDSP bits. The front and rear speakers will be different types, with different crossovers, so this natural phase cohesion I've grown accustomed to in the living room will not exist in the garage. So I'll probably revisit the RePhase/convolution scheme in the car - assuming my carPC has sufficient horsepower for all that convolution. :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jim the Oldbie.

FIR filters? 1 year 4 months ago #54754

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 80
I also want to add that just because I can't hear the effects of this "global," non-relative phase correction, it doesn't mean that others cannot! We all hear things differently, and you may be more sensitive to this sort of thing than I. The only way to know is to try it yourself.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Jim the Oldbie.
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam