Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Create profiles to switch XO designs: possible?

Create profiles to switch XO designs: possible? 7 months 1 week ago #46647

• d0dja
  • Fresh Boarder
New to the MiniDSP world (ok, I have a UMIK for a few years...). I'm a little surprised by how primitive the user interface is for the 2x4 Adv plugin.

Apart from looking like it was designed for Windows 95 with a 640x480 display, there seems to be little thought gone into making the interface a useful design tool.

Sure it can send configs... but I can't set up an XO/EQ configuration, store it, create others, and then be able to toggle between them.

This I would have thought to be a REALLY obvious (and really easy to implement) software feature. That way I can pick a xo frequency, alignment etc, and then quickly switch between them to home in on a voicing I like. It requires 30 or 40 clicks one by one to change a config, so by the time I get to the new one, the memory of the old one's sound has faded.

The only way I can see to do this kind of A-B testing is to set one config for left, one for right and then alternately mute them.

Am I missing something? Is this a topic that's been looked at before?

The interface could be about a billion times more useful...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Create profiles to switch XO designs: possible? 7 months 1 week ago #46649

• Tony_J
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
The 2X4 Advanced is indeed a little clunky. Unfortunately, there's no easier way than the one you have described - save a series of configurations and load the one you want to play with. I suspect that the basic 2X4 is unlikely to be the focus of much further development, given the newer options in their range.

The 2X4 HD does exactly what you want; it has the ability to store 4 different profiles, and you can toggle between them either via the PC interface (which is also a vast improvement over 2X4 Adv) or by means of the optional IR remote. There are other advantages too, such as the option of using SPDIF or USB as direct digital inputs to the 2X4HD, more memory available for filters, ability to upgrade to DDRC-24 to support Dirac (highly recommended by the way), etc. etc. So my suggestion would be to consider moving up to that.

Create profiles to switch XO designs: possible? 7 months 1 week ago #46652

• d0dja
  • Fresh Boarder
Ah ok cool.

I'm waiting for a 2x4 Unbalanced as I wanted the higher output voltage than the 2x4 I got used to play with. I guess I should have just coughed the extra $100 and got the 2x4HD.

Is the communication/protocol to the MiniDSP published? Maybe write a little script that reads in configs, and pushes them to the device? A quick google suggests not...

Create profiles to switch XO designs: possible? 7 months 1 week ago #46653

• Tony_J
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
There's a thread here that talks about the 2X4 HD protocol, but I've not come across anything for the vanilla 2X4:
www.minidsp.com/forum/suggestion-box/144...display?limitstart=0

Create profiles to switch XO designs: possible? 7 months 1 week ago #46677

• d0dja
  • Fresh Boarder
Hmmm ... so disabling or re-enabling an EQ filter requires ... let's count... 4 outputs * 5 filter bands * 2 clicks to select band and disable plus 4 more to select outputs equals 44 clicks.

Yeesh. I'd be delighted to hear from MiniDSP devs whether they are happy that they've done their best work on the plugins.

Winge Winge Winge.
Moderators: devteam