Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: 2x4 HD - How to define Compressor Attack of 1ms

2x4 HD - How to define Compressor Attack of 1ms 7 months 1 week ago #45694

• Andre0815
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
Hello,

for my purpose the minimum compressor attack time of 15ms in the 2x-HD1 plugin is to large.
I want to limit pure bass output for bass shakers, but the minimus attack of 15ms is noticeable in the Shakers. ( a peak when the kompressor starts working, When bassdrums start the first drum is louder than the second bassdrum. Only the second bassdrum is full compressed. )

Treshhold is -4db, Attack 15ms, Ratio 50, Release 1000ms.

When the level is in the plus db range the -4db compressor produces clipping at the first bassdrum :(

Currently with this minimum attack time I cannot use the compressor.

-> Why is the attack minimum 15ms and not 1ms or 0,5ms ?
-> How can i define compressor attack of 1ms in the 2x HD platform , may with an external Software like SigmarStudio ?

My versions are: "miniDSP 2x4-HD1 Plugin v1.14" and "miniDSP 2x4 HD firmware v1.9"

@DevTeam : Please implement minimun compressor attack time of 1ms or 0,5ms in the 2x4 HD platform. I really need it.
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by Andre0815.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

2x4 HD - How to define Compressor Attack of 1ms 7 months 1 week ago #45733

• Andre0815
  • Junior Boarder
Today I have ordered the pa compressor "DBX 166 XS" and will connect it after the 2x4HD.

Hope that would solve my problems. I will report here how it's useable for bass limiting.
Last Edit: 7 months 4 days ago by Andre0815.

2x4 HD - How to define Compressor Attack of 1ms 7 months 15 hours ago #45995

• Andre0815
  • Junior Boarder
The "DBX 166 XS" is arrived today and I must realize that its attack of 3ms is not fast enough.
.. it produces rarely peaks at low frequency impulses which produces distortion on my hifi amplifer.
I run OutputLevel 4dbU, Treshhold -14db and output +18db

So I ordered 2 things:
- Behringer MDX2600 V2 with min attack time of 0,3ms. (10 times faster)
- JB-Systems AMP 150.4 amplifer with distortion free clipping protector/peak limitter

I hope to get so my BassShaker system fine.
Last Edit: 6 months 4 weeks ago by Andre0815.

2x4 HD - How to define Compressor Attack of 1ms 6 months 4 weeks ago #46050

• Andre0815
  • Junior Boarder
The Behringer MDX2600 V2 is in test since 2 days with JungleTrain.net radio and Terminator 3. InputMax +4db, Treshhold -12db, Output +15db for bringing quieter basses to 0db. Like I said I use it only with bass signals for driving shakers.

With its attack of 0,3ms it perfoms fast enough. :) There are no peaks anymore that would produce clipping on my receiver. Very nice stable boosted bass shaking output now.

So I recommend the MDX2600 V2 even for bass signals for connecting it after the 2x4 HD with mono-plugs. (mono 6,3mm / 1/4" to single RCA) ..The In/Output-Level of pa compressors must be set to 4dbU when connectet to the 2x4 HD.

I am very happy now with the MDX2600 V2.

The belated compression&boosting affects the configured crossover. (a -14db 30Hz sound will be boosted to 0db). -> So I ordered a RCA-SubsonicFilter (37Hz @18db highPass from Ebay) that I connected to the Behringer-Output.
Last Edit: 6 months 2 weeks ago by Andre0815.

2x4 HD - How to define Compressor Attack of 1ms 1 month 1 day ago #49802

• erxgli
  • Fresh Boarder
Aren't we looking for limiters? I'm still trying to understand the exact functions and proper contexts for all the dynamic range tools. You are setting it up just like I do with the ratio and release maxed out and the attack all the way down. Isn't it now a limiter? And isn't that would people would usually need with a product like this? I'm just trying to understand both my needs and this product.

I know from playing and recording instruments that fully featured compressors like one in the 2x4HD one are usually essential to that process. You want to preserve a desired level of dynamic range as you "shape" your sound. My TV spends a lot of time playing Youtube. Youtube content is severely lacking in proper dynamic range control and processing. They need to "brick" their output like mainstream music does, lest Youtube-consuming humans deal with these awful volume spikes during and between content. My goal is to have one preset where I can play anything and the volume is always bricked. Aren't we just needing a limiter with pre-gain in the miniDSP?
Last Edit: 1 month 1 day ago by erxgli.
Moderators: devteam