Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This forum is community powered. Please be mindful that long time community members are here to help as part of a community effort. If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure), please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us). Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community. :-)

TOPIC: wi-dg wireless bridge -- CAVEAT EMPTOR

wi-dg wireless bridge -- CAVEAT EMPTOR 3 months 1 week ago #41671

I have to admit at being profoundly disappointed with wi-dg control app in iOS and Android.

I am using it together with a miniDSP 2x4 HD. I've set up the device properly, but the settings page leaves a lot to be desired. I mean, you can't even set the device's IP manually! I've got a lot of IOT devices and the interface and functionality of this thing is like that of something made at least five years ago, and by an amateur no less.

It's easier to use an ordinary IR remote than this piece of software that's not only LIMITED in what it can do, it also takes away the USB input functionality! Is it really that profoundly more expensive to add an additional dedicated USB to PC input bridge connection on the thing for "compatibility's sake" ? While I was trying to figure out if maybe I could use it with the 10x10 HD at the very least -- webpage says it's compatible along with MANY other miniDSP products on the webpage -- but say goodbye to your USB input just as well too! -- great -- caveat emptor (I only found later deep in the manual) just because it's compatible does not mean it's USEABLE -- and if it is, only barely. This thing can't even REMEMBER your added device! EVERY TIME you have to ADD the same device as this app apparently has NO MEMORY -- tested on iPhone 5, 6s, Galaxy Tab E. Honestly this thing is a joke. I surmise that maybe if paired with an SHD this might be marginally more functional. But I am disgusted that the webpage for the wi-dg advertises the thing as perfectly "compatible" with the miniDSP HD... they apparently forgot to mention the glaring caveats as aforementioned.

Given that HALF THE PRICE I paid for the thing was in shipping and other fees (note: additional tax & DHL processing fees -- hidden additional cost -- why can't it just be all upfront? Yeah2x too complicated. blah blah) only exacerbated my profound annoyance. Moreover, I was wishing to get the 10x10 HD, but you know what, maybe in five or ten years I'll look back to see for any improvements in your products first.

P.S. BTW, the 2x4HD I bought years ago had a defective IR receiver. It's only now that I was actually forced to fix it myself by sheer frustration from my experience with the wi-dg wireless bridge, snippng the old receiver, soldering in a new one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nm-minidsp

wi-dg wireless bridge -- CAVEAT EMPTOR 3 months 1 day ago #41838

" ... maybe I could use it with the 10x10 HD at the very least -- webpage says it's compatible along with MANY other miniDSP products on the webpage -- but say goodbye to your USB input just as well too! "

I am quite mistaken, and upon further research, the 10x10 does not support USB input, only settings control. :angry:

So it seemed the only option left for me is to either get an U-DAC8 or a nanoAVR HDA. I'd get the U-DAC8 if it had more inputs and the nanoAVR HDA had something beyond an archaic HDMI 1.4a support. I could buy BOTH the U-DAC8 and 10x10 HD -- use the former's USB input and then output unbalanced RCAs to the latter -- but that would be introducing a completely unnecessary conversion and degradation process. So, we'll have to wait and see if any new all-in-one miniDSP product comes along that is actually satisfactory to my needs. I feel it might be a long, long wait though -- if it ever does happen.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nm-minidsp
Moderators: devteam