Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Tilting your curve (a free Quad 34 in a miniDSP)

Tilting your curve (a free Quad 34 in a miniDSP) 2 years 11 months ago #32951

• jlo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi all,
after having your target curve in an OpenDRC or having done some EQ in your miniDSP, you may need some adjustement of the whole balance.
You may remember that the Quad 34 and 44 had a nice function called TILT that permitted a smooth slope from low to high frequencies :
see here

Also the Luxman L11 and C12 had something similar called Linear Equalizer.
So I did the same kind of curves thanks to advanced parametrics of OpenDRC or MiniDSP (download attachments if you wanna try).
So with this presets, you can bypass or not the 6 parametrics to get 15 curves from +-0.5 to +-3.5dB (slopes from 0.16 to 1.12dB/oct).
One question remains : should the pivot frequency be at 640 Hz (midpoint between 20hz and 20kHz), at 850Hz as Quad did, at 1kHz as per Luxman, or even higher ? The three files are at 850, 1000 and 1280Hz so you can test yourself.

A small problem : in OpenDRC the curves are ok but in miniDSP 2x4HD the same curves seem to be shown wrongly !
Could support team have a look ?

Here is the +2/-2dB 1kHz pivot in OpenDRC :

Same in miniDSP 2x4HD, the curve seem to be shifted by about +0.5dB (I don't have one yet so I cannot measure it) :

Have a nice day !
JL
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by jlo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Tilting your curve (a free Quad 34 in a miniDSP) 2 years 11 months ago #32956

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
If you desire to "tilt" the entire audio range you need to span three decades. 20-200, 200-2000, 2000-20000.

To program in the miniDSP, use the center frequency of each decade......63Hz, 630Hz, 6300Hz for each of three PEQ filters with Q=0.5.
You can then adjust the amplitude for each of the three PEQ's (use the same setting in all three) to achieve the desired tilt.

Here's a thread on the same topic:
www.minidsp.com/forum/equalization/11325...do-i-accomplish-this

Dave.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by dreite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Tilting your curve (a free Quad 34 in a miniDSP) 2 years 11 months ago #32959

• jlo
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
Thanks Dreite for the info.
But I didn't want to tilt the whole range, just something like 100Hz-10kHz.
And also to be able in one click to compare a curve with /without tilt.

Tilting your curve (a free Quad 34 in a miniDSP) 2 years 11 months ago #32960

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 658
The concept is the same.

100Hz-10khz is two decades, so just program two EQ filters vice three. (316Hz and 3160Hz.) You can program one with +gain and the other with -gain so you "tilt" on the center of the range. (1khz in this case.)
You can bypass with two clicks to evaluate with and without tilt.

Dave.
Last Edit: 2 years 11 months ago by dreite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam
Moderators: devteam