Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 9 months ago #46897

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 58

It may work smooth, but it is PITA in 2020 to have to put down my laptop, go across the room, unplug one device, plug in the correct one and come back and reconnect.

It's pretty trivial to add a combo box control instead of the annoying connection dialog and allow the user to have multiple devices plugged at the same time.

Ideally, we'd be able to add a name to the device.

I can control my subs from my phone. The miniDSP interface is 25 years behind the times.

The 2x4HD was meant to run as a single 2ch unit , so I don’t see the validity in that complaint
With onboard sharc and fir it’s actually the top dog 2ch dsp

It’s us that want to run multiple units

Why not try the nanodigi 2x8 it has 8ch and fir

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 1 year 8 months ago #46943

• Dials
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm having some trouble trying to use both DSP 2x4 hd. I had the first one for about a year now, and decided to buy another one. Can the same plug-in be used for both DSP? Or do they need their own. also I'm having issues getting any playback through the new DSP, do you think my user account is automatically syncing both DSP's to the same plug-in and could this be causing my issue?

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 1 year 8 months ago #46944

• IEales
You can run both with the same plug-in.

Download 1.15

Make a backup of the setting[1-4].xml files in the Documents folder MiniDSP folder.
If there are not two folders with the last 4 digits of the Serial Numbers, uninstall the old plugin.
I had to do that it get it to properly recognize the profiles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 7 months 2 weeks ago #55079

• Russell Burrows
  • Thank you received: 0
I purchased a regular minidsp and want to buy another minidsp.
I have my settings perfect in my minidsp but I want to add a second mindsp HD to my signal chain.
Ps5 to avr to minidsp to minidsp HD to Behringer nx3000d.
The only settings I am going to want to modify are those of the hd.

So will this work?
This is for my subwoofers for tactile response on a hoover board of three quarters thick playwood.

Plywood....meh autocomplete.

Bass signal in 4k Blu-ray from ps5 to avr sub out to my regular minidsp then off to the inputs of a second minidsp HD.

Just wondering what effects I can get if I cascade the 2 minidsp units?

My contemplated use is sync with laptop then once settingsaid are in then no more changes to minidsp settings for months or longer.

I just want to watch movies not fiddle endlessly with my minidsp.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 7 months 2 weeks ago #55080

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
What other Minidsp are you wanting to cascade?

A ddrc22 or opendrc would be good as it’s digital in and out

However a old 2x4 (non HD) I wouldn’t do that... I would just upgrade to a pair of 2x4hds!

The old 2x4 non HD has very low signal voltage and the DSP inside is not a sharc (best DSP on market) so the answer is simple , get another HD and copy your settings over

If you ha e a upstream digital to digital Minidsp then as you were
The following user(s) said Thank You: Russell Burrows

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 5 months 3 weeks ago #55612

• marcbittner
@devteam

Is there any way to get a second instance of the application process running (specifically the MacOS plugin)? I have multiple 2x4HDs running behind different IPs on my network via your wireless bridges. This mostly works fine, but the fact that I have to shut down the one to connect into another is a major time suck when working on complex projects. 

I tried the old  "open -n -a /Applications/miniDSP/MiniDSP-2x4-HD.app" to no avail and poked around the .plist files to see if there were any params explicitly preventing multiple copies. I guess I could run 4 VMs to have all of them active at once, but that strikes me as something that shouldn't at all be necessary when I've got these behind independent IPs

Thanks for your input. The USB limitations make sense, but the difficulty index on allowing someone to toggle between devices on distinct IPs doesn't seem like it should be too tough (then I've never seen the code, so I'm just making things up)

Mb

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 5 months 3 weeks ago #55620

• IEales
It's not possible was the response I got from 'support'

I bought two Wi-DG to run 2x 2x4HD. On Windows 10, if I don't close the plugin and reopen to connect, it corrupted one of the 2x4HD [version 2016] requiring resetting the serial number.

Also the levels do not track between multiple units when using a miniDSP or other remote. The Wi-DG phone app is a joke. The volume scale is linear from -70. There is no readout for level, just a slider making fine adjustments next to impossible. With multiple units, pairing is necessary every instance.

In the end, I abandoned the 2x4HD for 4x10Hd - which also does not respond uniformly to volume changes - AND if the Wi-DG is connected to the plugin, the unit does not respond to remote preset commands, only volume. The 4x10Hd plugin has no volume control. It can take a minute to find the Wi-DG sitting 12 feet away. The Wi-DG oscillates every few days between .205 and .206 making connections. No other device is anywhere near that IP and my laptop has found everything else on the network by the time I log in from a cold boot.

I wrote embedded and system software for 40 years. IMO, miniDSP software is circa 1985 in functionality.

The sound of the units is acceptable.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 5 months 3 weeks ago #55639

• andyr
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Sad that you don't like the miniDSP software; good that you find the sound acceptable. 

I had a 10x10HD for 4 years (changed to a nanoDIGI about a year ago).  I was able to vary the volume either by using the knob on the front - or by using my remote; it worked fine.

Also, are you aware you can improve SQ by changing to the 2x10 plug-in ... which runs at 96kHz?

Andy

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 5 months 3 weeks ago #55644

• IEales

I was able to vary the volume either by using the knob on the front - or by using my remote; it worked fine.

I am able to VARY  the level, just not accurately:

v2 Remote
=========
+ +1.5
+ 0
+ +0.5
+ +0.5
+ +0.5
+ +0.5
+ +0.5
+ +1.5
+ +0.5
+++ 3x +0.5
--- 3x -0.5
+ +1.5

Volume KNOB
===========
+3 +5.5
-3 -4.5
+3 +4.0
+3 +4.5
+ +1.5
[rotate to 0]
[rotate to -127.5]
+ +1.5
[rotate to -12]
+ +1.5

I surmise that many users would find similar results if they viewed the level in the plugin. I've spent a lifetime listening to HiFi, a decade as a recording engineer and another decade designing analog and digital professional audio gear. Perhaps my expectations are too high, but this functionality defect is indicative of inadequate Q.C.

There are 4x10HD volume issue posts going back years.

Thank for the plugin heads up, but I RTFM and multiple web sources several times before I plunk down the coin.

Last edit: by IEales. Reason: additional comment

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 4 months 3 weeks ago #55954

• marcbittner
This post helped me a lot, but I still wouldn't call it smooth.  right now I have 4 configs assigned to 4 2x4HDs (one each) on separate IPs using the wireless bridge. I'm constantly forced to reload the config before the application will sync to the board -- even when I'm SURE I've loaded the proper configuration to the proper configuration slot. I'm really struggling to determine what variable determines when it forces me to resync. T

If anyone has managed to use several of these together without having to constantly reload the configs, I'd love to understand the delta between what you are doing and what I am. the problem is frankly crippling. I probably have to reload the configs half the time I reconnect to one of the HDs
​​​​​​​

A MOST USEFUL software addition would be to disconnect a device from the software and connect to additional devices from a list.
The current implementation is not even slightly advanced from swapping floppy disks in the 1970s!!!

no wonder, don't you read above comment how arrogant devteam assume i don't understand this simple arrangement? he thinks i'm stupid? geeezzzz
i just forget this idea from devteam which they think it works but in fact it does Not. just save 2 different xml files, just another few clicks on the menu and done

gadut post=46839

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 4 months 3 weeks ago #55958

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think enough of us want a 12ch fir DSP 
and with 4096 taps at each channel at 96k , with 8 sharcs or 4 sharcs with lower sample ,  

for now ....... it is what it is..... 
they made a product that works just fine
Its us that want to use many of them amd they work how they work.

good luck finding something else that does what these do.....  nothing out there in the market , I am of the be happy and thankful for having the ability to do fir and have 4 dsps in my system that all work together..... 

DevTeam has come through for us,.....  name one other manufacture that can do what this little hd can do........

i digress 

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 months 3 weeks ago #55960

• marcbittner
@denver8me4dinner - to say that there is nothing comparable is not to absolve one for the integrity of one's software. I'm investing all this time BECAUSE to your point there isn't really a comparable product (honestly, I'd spend 10x this munch if I could find one that would do 9 channels in a single unit and had better usibility). BUT Devteam has not even responded to my original inquiry... In addition to being a developer and having worked on embedded products, I am / have been an engineering and security director for some companies I promise you have heard of. I have some idea of what is possible and how to systematically diagnose it...

I've done a substantial investigation this afternoon. @Devteam - I'll file a support case if you like but I doubt that tier1 support will be able to help me at this point. 

To be clear, the issue is that I have 4 minidsp 2x4HD connected behind wireless bridges as follows:Serial 15792 - L/R - 10.10.10.225 (Used with config 1)
Serial16124 - SL/SR - 10.10.10.224 (Used with config 2)
Serial16093 - LFE/C - 10.10.10.223 (Used with config 3)
Serial 15790 - SBL/SBR - 10.10.10.222 (Used with config 4)

This layout works well sometimes, then I'll go for hours having to reload a configuration every time I reconnect to one of the DSPs -- EVEN when I preload the proper configuration slot with the proper config (I'm very careful about keeping track of the config files at this point). This appears to not be hardware failure since it occurs on 4 different boxes -- making the chance of 4 distinct hardware failures very unlikely. 

I use the plugin on both windows and mac -- both exhibit this behavior. 

I spent most of this afternoon deleting and recreating then testing the state data stored at ~/Documents//MiniDSP-2x4-HD/MiniDSP-2x4-HD/setting/ on mac and at a similar path on windows.

1. At first the plugin appears to store synced configs under ~/Documents//MiniDSP-2x4-HD/MiniDSP-2x4-HD/setting/{SerialNumber}/ and everything works fine. 

2. At some point, the plugin starts detecting the serials for EVERY unit as 65535 (both in terms of what is displayed in the gui and in the directory structure). This is obviously a bug since (a) I don't own a unit with that serial and (b) this is the square of 256 -- I'm guessing it's the highest value that variable can contain and is the result of some failure in the plugin logic)

3. After that, I'm forced to reload the configuration every time because rather than keeping the configs seperated under the individual serial number dierctories *the plugin is saving every config to  ~/Documents//MiniDSP-2x4-HD/MiniDSP-2x4-HD/setting/65535/* so they collide every time. 

4. Thereafter the plugin does not recover, even with the process is terminated and restarted. I have not yet tested if this persists between reboots (meaning it is a session state problem vs a data structure problem --  thought it could be both)

@devteam -- I'm at the limits of what I can do without access to your code or a lot more domain-specific knowledge about your product. Do you think you could help me come up with at least a workaround so I don't spend half my life reloading configs? There are ways to handle these cases in a robust way by constraining the problem, but this is a pretty absurd user experience as is. 

Mb

Edit: someone with the same problem www.minidsp.com/forum/software-support/1...number-changed#51763

Sounds like there is a procedure to reset your serial if it has gotten blanked out. Hopefully this documented in the support docs, which will allow me to solve my own problem.

The procedure is not documented. I've emailed support. If anyone can point me to the process, I'd be grateful. This has been ruining my day for months -- not sure how long it will take support to respond

Last edit: by marcbittner.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 months 3 weeks ago #55961

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
If your good at backwards engineering 
I know a product that (to me) is better , although again, they didn’t unlock the fir however it used a sharc 

it’s the mosconi aerospace 8 to 12 DSP 

it has input eq , and 30 band parametric on 8ch and 30 band parametric on 2 ch and another 30 band parametric on the last 2ch 

it also has 10 output filters that can be crossovers or eq or all pass (1st or 2nd order) or notch.... and you CAN cascade them!! It’s completely a hot ass DSP !!!

but NO FIR!!!! Uuugh!!!  I would pay someone to crack this thing and make the fir work at each output.....  weather a hacked firmware or something would be fine with me.....   it’s an amazing sounding DSP as well .... but no fir .... and it’s a sharc 

like my thoughts sometimes are why even use floating point if there’s no fir.... 

seems fixed point multi processor would be great also in a non fir DSP ...... 

anyway that’s my kind of frustrating rants , I don’t aim to criticize something that is already developed.... 

if your a engineer make us one!!! I would buy it. I want 12ch , 30 bands of parametric (and don’t tell me 10 is enough! It’s just not especially in a car) 
and 10 bands at each output! With 4096 samples of fir at each output please 
and 13,600 at the input thank you very much 

i have used 4 2x4hds and a opendrc in front of them for awhile now and man it’s very powerful DSP ..... I love it and having 6144 taps to make my room correction and 1024 taps to make my crossovers is very nice....

would be so so hot if it was all in one package that could be tuned real time and had 30 bands of peq to do live RTA work..... the fir and rta stuff is cumbersome.... but dam it’s effective 

Last edit: by denver8me4dinner.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 months 3 weeks ago #55962

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
By any chance did you Install the software somewhere other then where it wants the software to be installed?

ive been running HD’s for a long time and have owned about 12 of them and tuned about 20 of them.....  I never had those hang ups .......   

i have one DSP on config one 
next DSP on config 2 
next DSP on config 3 
next DSP on config 4 

i can unplug one while connected and plug another one in , hit connect , and it automatically jumps to its config and syncs ... no loading files 

if you are altering the config or opening the software and changing configs before one is plugged in and connected so it’s live , it will require you to load the saved config. And will make all the others do the same.... just unplug it and close out the program when your not live.. don’t make any changes when not connected or it’s not going to work 

it sounds like your windows or install is goofy 

and get off the wi digi ! 

just get you a long usb extension! 

if your tuning live why do you need to be away from the DSP? 

Last edit: by denver8me4dinner.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 months 3 weeks ago #55963

• marcbittner
​​​​​​​
Well, the funny part is that I worked out what was going as I was writing the post. Two of the units have lost their serials, which is blowing up the sceme they're usig to track the state data in the filesystem (since the path is derived form the serial numbers).

There is a process to fix this (based on past forum posts), but I can't find it documented anywhere. So now I'm stuck waiting some indeterminate amount of time for a response from support. 

I'm messing with the config because I'm still eqing. And I use the bridges because there is no possible way I',m going to switch cables every time I need to reconfigure and there's no way to have a bus to all the config planes active at the same time otherwise. 

Pretty please, @devteam, respond with the serial restore process. I've already reached out to support but apparently it takes a long time to respond with a link or a document...

By any chance did you Install the software somewhere other then where it wants the software to be installed?

ive been running HD’s for a long time and have owned about 12 of them and tuned about 20 of them.....  I never had those hang ups .......   

i have one DSP on config one 
next DSP on config 2 
next DSP on config 3 
next DSP on config 4 

i can unplug one while connected and plug another one in , hit connect , and it automatically jumps to its config and syncs ... no loading files 

if you are altering the config or opening the software and changing configs before one is plugged in and connected so it’s live , it will require you to load the saved config. And will make all the others do the same.... just unplug it and close out the program when your not live.. don’t make any changes when not connected or it’s not going to work 

it sounds like your windows or install is goofy 

and get off the wi digi ! 

just get you a long usb extension! 

if your tuning live why do you need to be away from the DSP? 

denver8me4dinner post=55962

Moderators: devteam