Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 years 9 months ago #30412

• skogs
  • skogs's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I am using two separate miniDSP 2x4 HD, one for each front speaker. I constantly have to switch between them when adjusting. It's quite the hassle since they are not identical. One channel from each of them are used for the center speaker.

Is there any way create two instances of the software, and link one to each of them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 years 9 months ago #30437

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1588
It's something to do with the USB driver, you can only talk to one unit at a time. If you have a Mac, you could try making a virtual machine with VMWare Fusion (perhaps Virtual Box would work too) and connecting one unit to that, then the other to the host. (Never tried it, but I think it might work.)
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, skogs

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 years 9 months ago #30507

• bobc455
  • Thank you received: 15
Do you have access to a 2nd PC?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tony_J

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 4 years 9 months ago #30542

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1306
@ skogs,

On your question: Is there any way create two instances of the software, and link one to each of them?

I'm afraid that it's not possible.

Devteam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 2 years 10 months ago #40152

• vmbray
Is there a way to run multiple instances of the plugin and keep them straight yourself? For example, have the plugin in different folders and run the appropriate one for the board you are using?

Have the 2x4 HD and the wifi bridge. So for example can I have folder 1 and open that plugin and manually enter the ip address of the board?

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 2 years 10 months ago #40157

• Tony_J
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 36
I have a similar problem, as I am working on two distinct sets of configurations for 2 different speaker implementations, and want to be able to adjust/compare both sets. I suspect the only easy solution is to use 2 PCs.

Multiple 2x4 HD connected at the same time 2 years 9 months ago #40298

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Is there a way to run multiple instances of the plugin and keep them straight yourself? For example, have the plugin in different folders and run the appropriate one for the board you are using?

Have the 2x4 HD and the wifi bridge. So for example can I have folder 1 and open that plugin and manually enter the ip address of the board?

Unfortunately It's not possible I'm afraid. You could get 2 x WIDG I guess and select IP of one and the other manually but it would still require some work to toggle files (File / Save). Not plug&play I'm afraid...

DevTeam

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 2 years 1 month ago #44660

• jdacauan
Did this became possible with Plug-in 1.14?
I see "
>>> MiniDSP-2x4-HD plugin v1.14
>>>
>>> 1. Support multi device discovery and settings for multiple units of 2x4HD on the same PC
>>> 2. Support buffered PEQ data to avoid device halt when moving PEQ sliders in network connected mode

in this page: www.minidsp.com/forum/announcements/1629...12-cdsp-8x12dl-2x4hd

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 2 years 3 weeks ago #44820

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@jdacauan

Sorry for the confusion. What we're talking about here is the ability to have the presets saved into the MyDocuments per unit.
e.g. You have 2 miniDSP 2x4HD (SN#001 and SN#002).
When you connect to SN#001 it will create a folder under your mydocuments for SN#001
When you connect to SN#002 it will create a folder under your mydocuments for SN#002

When you toggle from one unit to the other, it automatically toggles to the correct folder (With the correct settings.xml). That's the advantage of this new feature that doesn't require you to do "File - > Load" anymore when toggling. We're still documenting it in manual. Will be there soon I'm sure. :-)

Hoping this clarifies.

DevTeam

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 11 months ago #45321

• gadut
  • Thank you received: 2

@jdacauan

Sorry for the confusion. What we're talking about here is the ability to have the presets saved into the MyDocuments per unit.
e.g. You have 2 miniDSP 2x4HD (SN#001 and SN#002).
When you connect to SN#001 it will create a folder under your mydocuments for SN#001
When you connect to SN#002 it will create a folder under your mydocuments for SN#002

When you toggle from one unit to the other, it automatically toggles to the correct folder (With the correct settings.xml). That's the advantage of this new feature that doesn't require you to do "File - > Load" anymore when toggling. We're still documenting it in manual. Will be there soon I'm sure. :-)

Hoping this clarifies.

DevTeam

i have downloaded 1.14 version but still don't get the idea on how to do this for my 2 HD units. any update?

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 11 months ago #45493

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
@Gadut,

Did you understand the above? aka you can "not" control 2 units "together".
You "can" control 1 x unit at a time and the software allows you to save the SN# in separate folders.

You should see these folders under mydocuments.

DeVteam

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 9 months ago #46837

• IEales
  • Thank you received: 1

You should see these folders under mydocuments.

DeVteam

I had to UNINSTALL the plug-in to get it to create the Serial Number folders.

The user could probably create this path C:\Users\Owner\Documents\MiniDSP\MiniDSP-2x4-HD\setting\nnnn where nnnn is last 4 of device serial number and copy a saved xml file to the setting1-4 files.

Create additional nnnn folders for additional serial numbers and copy the settings files, reconfiguring as necessary.

A MOST USEFUL software addition would be to disconnect a device from the software and connect to additional devices from a list.
The current implementation is not even slightly advanced from swapping floppy disks in the 1970s!!!

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 9 months ago #46839

• gadut
  • Thank you received: 2

A MOST USEFUL software addition would be to disconnect a device from the software and connect to additional devices from a list.
The current implementation is not even slightly advanced from swapping floppy disks in the 1970s!!!

no wonder, don't you read above comment how arrogant devteam assume i don't understand this simple arrangement? he thinks i'm stupid? geeezzzz
i just forget this idea from devteam which they think it works but in fact it does Not. just save 2 different xml files, just another few clicks on the menu and done

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 9 months ago #46861

• denver8me4dinner
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 58

no wonder, don't you read above comment how arrogant devteam assume i don't understand this simple arrangement? he thinks i'm stupid? geeezzzz
i just forget this idea from devteam which they think it works but in fact it does Not. just save 2 different xml files, just another few clicks on the menu and done

They didn’t sound arrogant at all. Sorry about the trouble your having. I hope it gets squared away. DevTeam was answering the same questions 2x . The way I read it seemed more like you simply didn’t like the answer so kept asking the question.

Typing can come across the wrong way, I promise you from a bystander viewpoint, DevTeam did not sound mean or anything of the sort. Classic case of reading errors.

I run 3 HDs and have one on configuration1 the 2nd on configuration2 and the third on configuration 3

As long as each HD has a different configuration active and in the same state as it was when unplugged you can simply unplug one , plug the other one in, and hit connect , it will switch configurations and open. No syncing or anything

Works smooth
The following user(s) said Thank You: Russell Burrows

Multiple 2x4 HD connected simultaneusly in 1.14? 1 year 9 months ago #46867

• IEales
  • Thank you received: 1
It may work smooth, but it is PITA in 2020 to have to put down my laptop, go across the room, unplug one device, plug in the correct one and come back and reconnect.

It's pretty trivial to add a combo box control instead of the annoying connection dialog and allow the user to have multiple devices plugged at the same time.

Ideally, we'd be able to add a name to the device.

I can control my subs from my phone. The miniDSP interface is 25 years behind the times.

Moderators: devteam