Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Need help configuring your plug-ins? This is the place to ask the miniDSP community for help. Please read manual first to limit 101 questions.

NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 7 years 1 day ago #16161

• oluv
  • oluv's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like to do audio recordings with my UMIK-1, but I need software which would accept the calibration file to be included to allow for the most linear frequency response.
I can record through the UMIK-1 without any calibration, but the result is not really convincing as it doesn't sound 100% correct. Now I would like to try some recordings including the calibration-file, but I am not sure if there is any software which provides this option.

Any idea?

Thanks a lot and many thanks in advance,

O.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 7 years 1 day ago #16165

• john.reekie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1588
Bear in mind that, most often, microphones used for recording don't have a flat frequency response. So depending on what you are recording, flat may not be what you want. Still, it's an interesting question, I don't know of a way to do it offhand. You may be able to simulate the mic correction with EQ in the recording software?
I am not miniDSP support.

"You must ask the right questions." - Dr. Alfred Lanning's hologram.
-> Have you read the User Manual??
-> Have you drawn and posted a diagram?
-> Have you posted a screenshot?
-> Have you posted your config file?

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 7 years 1 day ago #16167

• oluv
for my purpose the microphone should be as flat as possible. EQ could be a solution, but I am not sure how precise I manage to remodel the cal file into an EQ curve?

Meanwhile I found that speclab should allow recordings with additional filters, but the cal file should be converted to the filter somehow first, which is where i am stuck right now.

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 7 years 12 hours ago #16168

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 79
Hello,

for my purpose the microphone should be as flat as possible. EQ could be a solution, but I am not sure how precise I manage to remodel the cal file into an EQ curve?

This would depend on your recording software of course, but I was just looking at a graph of the cal file for my UMIK-1, and it looks to me like it wouldn't be too hard to get pretty close with some parametric EQ here and there. But if you really want to make proper use of that file... This is an interesting question indeed. Unless I'm mistaken, Room EQ Wizard et al only use this file to correct the data after the fact, and not the audio in real time. To do the latter would require some sort of convolution...

Meanwhile I found that speclab should allow recordings with additional filters, but the cal file should be converted to the filter somehow first, which is where i am stuck right now.

Is this the Speclab you mean?

www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/spectra1.html

If so, first of all thanks for mentioning it - looks like a useful piece of software. I notice in the HTML help file, if you scroll down to the section titled "Controls and Options for the FFT-based filter," then scroll down some more to where it says, "Less often used controls are on the "options" tab," I see that one of the options says:

Frequency response file: Name of the file in which the frequency response of the "custom"-type filter is saved.

I can't find any further description of this feature, and I don't have time to download the software & check it out right now. But based on the nature of this powerful FFT-based filter used in the audio section, I'm betting this option could be what you're looking for. The only downside I anticipate would be a significant amount of latency (delay), which could be a problem if you require real-time monitoring of your recording.

Good luck, and let us know how/if it works,

-- Jim

Last edit: by Jim the Oldbie.

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 7 years 11 hours ago #16169

• oluv
yes, this is the speclab i was referring to.

i also found a tutorial about creating an own filter-file here:
data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2...ring-in-room/?p=4124

but i am still not quite sure how to manage all these things. speclab seems pretty confusing, the user interface is really a bit off.
i will have a deeper look at this during weekend, lots of work currently so i cannot play with it much.

latency is not a big problem as the UMIK-1 is already giving me about 1-2 seconds latency regardless of which recording software i tried. i won't do any realtime monitoring in this case.

and thanks for your answer!

Last edit: by oluv.

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 6 years 11 months ago #16170

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

i also found a tutorial about creating an own filter-file here:
data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/2...ring-in-room/?p=4124

Yeesh! That is a bit of a quagmire.

This idea sounds like something I may have a use for myself down the road, so I think I've found a way to do it with some software that's more user-friendly, namely Audacity. If you don't already have it, you can get it here:

audacity.sourceforge.net/

Needless to say, you can also use this to make the recording itself. Speaking of which, this scheme would require that you make your recording first, then apply the EQ to the recorded file. If that's OK, then the following might do the trick.

I've basically cobbled together a spreadsheet that will convert the tab-delimited-text UMIK-1 cal file to an Audacity FFT EQ curve XML file. (I doubt the output is actually XML-compliant, but Audacity doesn't seem to mind.) Note that I've included templates in both LibreOffice and MS Excel formats, but I have only tested the LibreOffice version. (Rename them without the ".jpg" extension to use them.) These instructions are also for LibreOffice, but should be similar for Excel. Anyway, here's what to do:

1. Open your UMIK-1 cal (.txt) file in Notepad.
2. Press Ctrl-A to select all text, then Ctrl-C to copy to the clipboard.
3. Open the attached LibreOffice Calc spreadsheet template.
4. Ctrl-V to initiate the paste from the clipboard into the spreadsheet, starting at cell A1. This is tab-delimited text, so check the Text Import dialog that pops up to make sure the formatting looks OK, then click "OK."
5. Go to Data | Select Range..., then press Enter (or just press Alt, D, R, Enter) to select the range containing the text to be exported as XML.
6. Ctrl-C to copy the export text.
7. Open another Notepad window, then Ctrl-V to paste the XML into it.
8. Save as "UMIK-1 Comp.xml" or whatever; just remember to change the extension to .xml.
9. Open Audacity and load in your UMIK-captured recording.
10. Go to Effect | Equalization... to open the EQ dialog.
11. Select "Draw Curves" under the graph, then click "Save/Manage Curves..." to open the Manage Curves dialog.
12. Click the "Import..." button, navigate to the .xml file you just created, then Open the file.
13. Back in the Manage Curves dialog, look down the list until you find the curve called "UMIK-1 Ser. # [your serial #], select it, then "OK."
14. Et voila! your UMIK-1 cal curve is now an Audacity FFT EQ curve!

Notes:

1. Do NOT use the "Invert" button. The spreadsheet has already taken care of that. :o)
2. You can use the sliders on the left edge of the Equalization dialog to zoom in vertically on the curve, to see it better.
3. Once the cal comp curve is imported, it becomes part of Audacity's master EQ curve XML file (it even cleans up the formatting, heh!), and so will be available every time you use the program.
4. This EQ window only shows down to 20 Hz, whereas my (and presumably your) UMIK-1 cal goes down to 10 Hz. I'm not sure how Audacity handles that 1st octave; I'm leaving that for someone else to figure out, heh.

Hope this helps,

-- Jim
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: devteam, andrejg, oluv

Last edit: by Jim the Oldbie.

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 6 years 11 months ago #16172

• oluv
Jim, you are brilliant, great solution and no need to fumble around with speclab, i still didn't figure out how to actually record anything with it haha...

will try your solution today evening! you could try uploading your sheet to some external host like dropbox or whatever.

Thanks so much for the help!

O.

Last edit: by oluv.

Audio recording through calibrated UMIK-1? 6 years 11 months ago #16173

• Jim the Oldbie
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ah ha! Figured out the attachment problem - only certain file types are allowed. I've added .jpg extensions to both files - simply remove that to use them.

Good luck,

-- Jim

• Page:
Moderators: devteam