Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: New SHD version hardware update

New SHD version hardware update 4 weeks 2 days ago #53689

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1207
Dear All

As some of you might have noticed, there is indeed a new version of SHD currently shipping. This update is transparent and therefore won't change much to the equation apart from one detail (see below). Some of you are asking clarifications so here are details:

WHY a new version?: Because the previous streamer (neo2) went End of Life(EOL). We just chose a similar streamer (similar specs) to replace it. That is all.. Together with that change we implemented a better standby mode turning off more devices on the unit. Hardware/firmware upgrades happen all the times on our gear (new flash, new oled, new chipset)... It's the same for all electronic manufacturers and parts going EOL. That doesn't mean the product goes EOL...

See below answer asked before:

What are the specs for the new hardware?
ANS: No changes. Exact same performance.

Are there features (specific or general) that this hardware will enable you to develop that you couldn’t before?
ANS: None. Exact same feature set

What’s going on with the new hardware’s standby mode in terms of what components are actually turned off in that state?
ANS: The hardware on new version allows for turning off more section of the DC-DC section of the board.

Is it true that you have determined that the Neo2 units cannot also do the same standby behavior via firmware update? As you know, many of us have been desperate for a 12V trigger solution.
ANS: Unfortunately we can't turn off power to the USB port on the Neo2. We are still thinking of a way for this trigger option but don't have a magic solution. We do not want to state something here until we have a solid/proven solution. Thanks for your patience.

Are the Neo2 SHDs EOL now? What can we expect as existing customers in terms of feature additions or support?
ANS: Your board will autodestruct in 2days.. Please move away.. ;) We've moved to a new version but as explained already that means nothing to prior customers.. They have all the same features, all the same audio performance... it is the SAME.. :-) ..It's actually the same volumio build but with different compiling process. There is delay (3weeks) between the 2 release but that's only because we can't QC all features on both platforms at once. That is all there is to read. The new upgrade of Volumio (new GUI, new Qobuz, newer Volumio bug fix) will be online for everybody in coming 2days or earlier.

Is there a changelog for the new Volumio build? Some accounting of all the changes from 1.062 would be helpful.
ANS: None public. We can see in the future.

Are there aspects of the new hardware that allow for features in Volumio that are not possible on the Neo2 SHD? As an example, specifically I wonder if you know at this time whether a Tidal Connect plugin will be possible on the new units but not the old units (once the functionality is delivered by Volumio HQ, they predict they can deliver Q2).
ANS: We already answered this above I believe so hopefully this answer is clear. It's JUST a different ARM chipset. it has "nothing" to do with the a software features.. Akin to asking, if I update my CPU from Intel 3.5GHz to AMD 3.5Ghz, can I still run word? Yes, you still can... :-) As for future feature, we never comment on these as we've stated this clearly on all pages, FAQ, support tix. :-)

Will the feature set of the plugins diverge between the hardware versions?
ANS: That's exactly the exact same answer as above here.. So I'm sure that you're all set to answer it.. .. :-)

Hoping this clarify,

DevTeam
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tivo840, finitol, ds58, Ultrasonic, lmerino, entripy, EdHowarth, jaaptina, dionisp, rodrigaj and this user have 4 others thankyou

New SHD version hardware update 4 weeks 1 day ago #53693

• ds58
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you for the update.

Is it possible to replace the Neo2 board with a Neo3 from FriendlyArm? Many of us are able to replace mother/daughterboards easily...

My Neo2 SHD is out of warranty anyway

New SHD version hardware update 4 weeks 1 day ago #53699

• gbr
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11
ds58 wrote:
Is it possible to replace the Neo2 board with a Neo3 from FriendlyArm? Many of us are able to replace mother/daughterboards easily...

I had the same question. But after thinking a bit about it: What would be the advantage if the specs are the same?

New SHD version hardware update 4 weeks 1 day ago #53703

• Sonnie
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The only advantage would be the USB power off in Standby... if you need to trigger your amps.

@devteam ... thank you for the update... this is good information.

New SHD version hardware update 4 weeks 1 day ago #53707

• ds58
  • Fresh Boarder
It appears that the standby power consumption is greatly reduced as well... right now my SHD uses 10-11 watts doing nothing.
Last Edit: 4 weeks 1 day ago by ds58.
Moderators: devteam