Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52949

• Nuprin
  • Nuprin's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
You are correct in that the SHD could in fact replace the Streamer, DAC and Preamp but I am not convinced. The 851N are all those things minus the DIRAC but it pales in comparison to the "separates" of my own DAC and Preamp regarding overall resolution, imaging, soundstage, bass...etc. I had a Cary Audio 11a and it was the best SS processor I've ever heard on 2 channel of SS processor under $15k I've heard - and the Wyred STP II blew that away. Adding the Areas also improved naturalness, tonality and bass albeit less significantly.

Even if I were to use the SHD as the source, DAC and preamp, is it able to actively crossover the frequencies to the speakers? The sub can be sent the full signal as it has it's own crossover cutoff.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Nuprin. Reason: spelling

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52950

• Nuprin
Or the simpler question is can you designate in the software, a cut off frequency for each output 1, 2, 3 and 4?

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52952

• asx77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 33
I’m sure that you won’t miss the Ares II. I know measurements aren’t everything but see here: www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.p...-dac-streamer.18681/

The SHD measures better than the Ares II which you can see in the 4th image down the SHD is highlighted in yellow. The Ares II is to the right of the green section. The SHD power sits between the two.

Yes SHD can be used to set crossovers. Look at the manual available on its page. You can send a combined left/right signal to the sub and set the crossover wherever you want.

Last edit: by asx77.

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52954

• Nuprin
Thanks, I see it here.
Attachments:

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52957

• Nuprin
Just wondering if this crazy idea would work - not necessarily better sounding but just as a thought experiment:

1) 861N streamer digital into the SHD
2) Run Dirac Live and output analog XLR to Preamp
3) Preamp XLR back into SHD
4) Crossover inside the SHD (correction already done at #2)
5) Output XLR to amp for speakers and powered subwoofer with XLR output 1,2 and 3 or 4 with stereo subs.

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52961

• asx77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Just wondering if this crazy idea would work.

No it won’t. Crazy is a good description!!

Listen. If you’re that keen to keep all your gear and especially your pre-amp no problem. Buy the DDRC88A and put it after the pre-amp and. It has balanced inputs and outputs, will integrate your sub and let you keep your pre.

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #52989

• gbr
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
My SHD Studio does support AirPlay. I hope I do not mix up things coming from a logitec media server with the shairplay plugin (or how it is called). But at least in SHD volumio you can activate Shairport-Sync. Isn‘t this Airplay?

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #53000

• speakee
  • Thank you received: 4
It's not complicated. Two options using all equipment:

1. Connect SHD analog in/out between preamp and power amp. Connect sub to analog outputs 3/4 of SHD. Control volume in streamer, preamp, or SHD.

2. Connect SHD digital in/out between streamer and dac. Connect sub to analog outputs 3/4 of SHD. Control volume in streamer or SHD (leave preamp to fixed volume).

After you tried #2, you can experiment with removing components to see the effect on sound yourself. No point arguing online.

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 weeks ago #53006

• asx77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

Just wondering if this crazy idea would work.

No it won’t. Crazy is a good description

I should add the reason is, that you're asking the SHD to process two different input sources at the same time and actually loop one of them back. Can't think of any Hi-Fi pre/processor designed to do that.

What everyone is suggesting is you keep an open mind about not keeping all your gear. If you are adamant you want to keep it there are cheaper options than the SHD like the 88A to consider. However, as previously suggested, the SHD is likely to be the best solution for you and can slim down the number of components you use.

Personally not keen on option 1 above as it adds an additional AD-DA conversion in the chain and you'll have to be super careful not to change the volume on your pre. But @Speakee's option 2 approach seems very sensible if you're willing to experiment a bit.

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 1 week ago #53181

• peterggg
I have a similar question but slightly less complicated ;).

I'm also either wanting to keep my current DAC/pre or at least have the option to keep the DAC/pre if I can notice much better SQ than using the SHD DAC. It's a Benchmark DAC-2. Sounds great but I don't like the controls at all, either on the remote or on the box. I also want the ability to upgrade the DAC in the future, independent of the SHD.

Question: Can I use the SHD as a front-end and DSP for everything and then pass a clean, DSPed digital signal out to my DAC? Is there a way to bypass the volume control and other circuits on the SHD?

I would use the SHD with CD input and streaming and try it out running my turntable through the A/D - DSP - circuit to digital out.

Would this work (and be worth it sound-wise)? The alternative is to simply get the Studio and run the CD and streaming through it and phono straight into the preamp without DSP. But if I can duplicate that functionality with the SHD and have the option of using its DAC and analog stage I would be more than happy to pay a few hundred dollars more.

Thanks, Peter

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 1 week ago #53194

• asx77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Hi,

You can just choose a volume on the SHD and leave it there. There’s a digital out to feed downstream dac but doubt you’ll hear a difference asthe SHD and Benchmark DAC 3 are on a par according to Audioscience review. See link higher up the chain and presume the DAC 3 is the higher model.

I’ve not got the SHD or a turntable so don’t know if you would need a phono stage or not. I guess if the SHD is like the DDRC24 you can’t adjust the gain for different sources. If you ended up using the SHD for volume without phono stage you’d need to be careful you didn’t leave the volume high after listening to vinyl to then switch to cd or streaming and get a loud shock!

What is your pre-amp, power amp and do you have a sub?

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 1 week ago #53195

• peterggg
Thanks.

I started with Spatial Audio M3 Hologram Turbo S speakers and worked backward from there:

Clayton Shaw used the Red Dragon power amp in all his trade shows for a few years so I went with that.

Red Dragon dude recommended Mytek or Benchmark DAC/PRE and I picked up the Benchmark because I found one used (thus the DAC-2).

No sub at this point and in no urgency to get one but could be convinced. I really love the clarity in the mid-range of my current setup.

Oppo UDP 203 for disc player so I would be open to an HDMI input to play my SACDs - which are currently gathering dust. Pro-ject Debut Carbon Evo turntable.

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 1 week ago #53197

• asx77
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ok. Reason I was asking about preamp was if it had built in phono stage. Not sure if you read my first reply before or after my edit.

Don’t think there is benefit in keeping the dac since SHD will be on a par, has inputs and volume control. It’s like having two pre-amps in the same system and only using one for tone controls. You just don’t do it and have to choose one no matter how much you like them both.
No sub gives you flexibility of where you put your dac initially. If you get a sub though it’s the final nail in the coffin for the benchmark I think since sub integration is via the SHD. Unless the benchmark has dedicated sub out with adjustable crossover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: peterggg

Balanced System with SHD? 5 months 2 days ago #53488

• amirsag
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi, I agree with other poster. I ditched my Preamp (rogue audio) for SHD. It just makes everything more simple in terms of connection and I did not notice anything major in SQ differences.

DAC Soundwise, the SHD has superior DAC capability over the Benchmark DAC2. It measures better, and I think sounds better..but that of course is my opinion on SQ..yours is the only one that matters there. You will need a good phono Preamp, (I use a Sutherland 20/20 with New Version Technics 1200 "G" turntable with Ortofon Cadenza Black Cartridge. ) That should speak to the capability of the SHD..I'm using over $10k worth of vinyl kit with $1200 SHD digi Preamp. I never noticed any loss in SQ as a result of the ADC to DAC conversion from SHD unit, so no worries there. In truth, the SHD really is a wonderful piece of equipment. The only thing I don't use is the streamer...I have a NUC running to R--PI 4, with linear power supply and ALLO Usb Signature....as output to my SHD usb in. I just don't like Volumio, and didn't want to wait for minidsp update to Roon ready.

Last edit: by amirsag. Reason: Word change

Balanced System with SHD? 4 months 3 weeks ago #53832

• robertofabbri
  • Thank you received: 5
Just my two cents: I had a Denafrips Ares (first series) and now a Minidsp SHD.
The SHD is way better than the Ares.
It's really a great gear.
Replacing 3 components with one of great quality can move you a leap forward.

My system now is:
Pioneer PL70 + Dynavector DV20x2l + Lehmann Black Cube Decade
Minidsp SHD as Streamer, ADC, DSP, DAC and Pre
A main amp Accuphase P360 driving two B&W 801 series 80
An XTZ subwoofer driven by the SHD to help Dirac linearize the room response

Moderators: devteam