Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 2 days ago #51638

  • moresax
  • moresax's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 6
  • Karma: 0
Anyone else experiencing an issue with volume randomly jumping to max? I've nearly gone deaf three times today. It seems to happen when I press the preset buttons on the remote. I'm having a number of issues with my SHD, but this problem is by far the worst offender.

In more detail, I'll save 2-4 Dirac presets to the SHD (when I can, they don't always transfer successfully). When I try to call them up using the remote, things sometimes go ok, but I am occasionally greeted with the volume immediately jumping up to 0.0. This happened earlier today. Sometimes the remedy to this problem is restarting the SHD (which gets old, but tolerable). Sometimes it requires reinstalling all SHD and Dirac software onto my computer, rebooting everything, and starting from scratch. This of course deletes all the previously saved SHD configs and Dirac filters from the SHD, so new measurements need to be taken with Dirac and transferred to SHD. This post was prompted by me going through all of this just now, trying to switch presets, and being blow out by the volume randomly jumping to 0.0 again.

I'm wondering if perhaps I'm misunderstanding the configurations on the SHD software. I set the crossovers, peq, etc. on config 1 on the SHD software, then take measurements using Dirac. Once finished measuring in Dirac, I save the generated filter to the SHD, and occasionally make minor filter changes and save those as well to the SHD.

Am I supposed to create a different SHD config for each new Dirac filter? It sometimes seems like the SHD is switching configs when I change presets, but then other times it does not. Could using the same config for the different filter presets be causing the volume jumps? I had hoped to experiment with creating a stereo 2.0 and 2.1 config and being able to set those to different presets on the remote, but that has only resulted in strange SHD behavior, so I've stuck with a single 2.1 config ever since, which is why I use the same config for all imported Dirac filters. Anyways, between these issues and the often-occurring inability for my computer to connect to the SHD (the only remedy for this seems to be to completely delete and reinstall the software) the whole SHD system seems pretty buggy, and it makes me wonder if my unit is defective, as there are so many happy users here. Hopefully I'm the only one with these problems, and the rest of you are happily enjoying your SHDs. If you're having a situation similar to mine, I'd be curious to learn how you solved these issues.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 2 days ago #51641

  • Ultrasonic
  • Ultrasonic's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 895
  • Thank you received: 166
  • Karma: 19
moresax wrote:
Anyone else experiencing an issue with volume randomly jumping to max? I've nearly gone deaf three times today. It seems to happen when I press the preset buttons on the remote. I'm having a number of issues with my SHD, but this problem is by far the worst offender.

I'd suggest you replace the batteries in your remote control. The only time I've noticed erratic behaviour with my remote and volume control it was fixed by doing this. In my case it was that a single press meant the volume either kept getting louder or kept getting quieter rather than jumping directly to max volume.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moresax

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 2 days ago #51642

  • Ultrasonic
  • Ultrasonic's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 895
  • Thank you received: 166
  • Karma: 19
moresax wrote:
In more detail, I'll save 2-4 Dirac presets to the SHD (when I can, they don't always transfer successfully). When I try to call them up using the remote, things sometimes go ok, but I am occasionally greeted with the volume immediately jumping up to 0.0. This happened earlier today. Sometimes the remedy to this problem is restarting the SHD (which gets old, but tolerable). Sometimes it requires reinstalling all SHD and Dirac software onto my computer, rebooting everything, and starting from scratch. This of course deletes all the previously saved SHD configs and Dirac filters from the SHD, so new measurements need to be taken with Dirac and transferred to SHD. This post was prompted by me going through all of this just now, trying to switch presets, and being blow out by the volume randomly jumping to 0.0 again.

I'm wondering if perhaps I'm misunderstanding the configurations on the SHD software. I set the crossovers, peq, etc. on config 1 on the SHD software, then take measurements using Dirac. Once finished measuring in Dirac, I save the generated filter to the SHD, and occasionally make minor filter changes and save those as well to the SHD.

Am I supposed to create a different SHD config for each new Dirac filter? It sometimes seems like the SHD is switching configs when I change presets, but then other times it does not. Could using the same config for the different filter presets be causing the volume jumps? I had hoped to experiment with creating a stereo 2.0 and 2.1 config and being able to set those to different presets on the remote, but that has only resulted in strange SHD behavior, so I've stuck with a single 2.1 config ever since, which is why I use the same config for all imported Dirac filters. Anyways, between these issues and the often-occurring inability for my computer to connect to the SHD (the only remedy for this seems to be to completely delete and reinstall the software) the whole SHD system seems pretty buggy, and it makes me wonder if my unit is defective, as there are so many happy users here. Hopefully I'm the only one with these problems, and the rest of you are happily enjoying your SHDs. If you're having a situation similar to mine, I'd be curious to learn how you solved these issues.

There is an independent plugin configuration for each preset, as well as a slot for a Dirac filter for each preset. You need to set both for each preset.

Not doing this won't cause the master volume to jump to 0.0 dB when changing between presets though.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Ultrasonic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: moresax

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 1 day ago #51653

  • moresax
  • moresax's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 6
  • Karma: 0
I will give new batteries a shot. I received the remote on 10/29, so the battery is fairly new, but I have experienced that very issue you mentioned, so seems like a possible culprit. You've been very helpful, Ultrasonic. Thanks for the replies.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 1 day ago #51654

  • moresax
  • moresax's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 6
  • Karma: 0
Gotcha! Well, this is one thing I've been doing wrong. Wonder if that will solve some of my issues. Just reviewed the manual on this procedure. I was about to give up on the SHD, but listening now to my new VTV Purifi amp with the SHD, and the potential is too great with this setup to pass up. Going to keep forging ahead. Hopefully my problems are user error and can be fixed. If not, I can live with a little wonkiness to continue experiencing this great sound. Thanks again, Ultrasonic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 1 day ago #51662

  • Espowilleit
  • Espowilleit's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 10
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 0
The SHD volume jumping to 0.0 is very likely not related the remote not does completely resetting the device make sense. I had similar issues and reported it to MiniDSP. More information in following post:

www.minidsp.com/forum/shd-series/17369-v...out-of-control#49010

IMHO the inclusion (can't call it integration as it is not a clean integration) of the Volumio function is causing challenges for the MiniDSP team. Middle of this year several software updates came out, which addressed my volume control issues to some extent. Please make sure you update both the MiniDSP SHD software and the Volumio software (for the latter you have to go to Volumio browser interface on your SHD and execute an update (I believe in the setting menu).

As mentioned above, most of my issues have gone after updating the software, however I can still create a jump to max volume in following scenario:
1) Before switching off the SHD I set the volume on MUTE
2) When SHD boots (or starts) with volume set on MUTE, at the moment I stream the 1st file from my media server the SHD volume jumps to max.

Above does not happen if I have the volume between max and full mute before switching off.

Bottom line: the SHD has a lot of good things going for it, however the volume control implementation is a still sub-par and causes me to be very (unnecessary) careful when turning on my system and/ or switching inputs.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 1 day ago #51664

  • Ultrasonic
  • Ultrasonic's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 895
  • Thank you received: 166
  • Karma: 19
Espowilleit wrote:
As mentioned above, most of my issues have gone after updating the software, however I can still create a jump to max volume in following scenario:
1) Before switching off the SHD I set the volume on MUTE
2) When SHD boots (or starts) with volume set on MUTE, at the moment I stream the 1st file from my media server the SHD volume jumps to max.

Above does not happen if I have the volume between max and full mute before switching off.

Are you talking about putting the SHD in Standby here, or switching it right off with the switch on the rear?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 16 hours ago #51675

  • Espowilleit
  • Espowilleit's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 10
  • Thank you received: 2
  • Karma: 0
Are you talking about putting the SHD in Standby here, or switching it right off with the switch on the rear?[/quote]


@Ultrasoninc - full power off (not standby).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 14 hours ago #51679

  • Ultrasonic
  • Ultrasonic's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 895
  • Thank you received: 166
  • Karma: 19
Espowilleit wrote:
@Ultrasoninc - full power off (not standby).

I don't really think the SHD is intended to be regularly switched off in this way and I would personally avoid doing so. I say this as it doesn't give a controlled shutdown of Volumio or its own internal OS. It's like I wouldn't regularly switch off a PC using a power switch. You can say I'm being overly cautious but I think it's prudent, and apparently would prevent the particular issue that you have.

On the relatively few occasions I have had to fully switch off my SHD I have experienced some occasions where Volumio seemingly hasn't started correctly and I've needed to switch it off and on again to get it going.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 14 hours ago by Ultrasonic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Volume Randomly Jumps To Max 2 weeks 13 hours ago #51682

  • Ultrasonic
  • Ultrasonic's Avatar
  • Online
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 895
  • Thank you received: 166
  • Karma: 19
I'll just add that Volumio does include a Shutdown -> Power Off option. I tried this ahead of a full power off, and on switching back on Volumio didn't restart. Switching my SHD off and back on again and thankfully Volumio did then start. So, whilst there is apparently a way to shutdown Volumio I'm not sure it really helps!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EdHowarth
Moderators: devteam