Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC:

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54395

• sina.hakman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi devteam,

It has been quite a while since last update so I wanted to check where you are with Roon Ready Certification. This is a really sought after function that has been promised. I am guessing that quite a number of people bought SHD based on the promise that Roon Ready certification is imminent. So a quick update will be appreciated.

Many thanks,
Sina.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54396

• B0gdan
  • Thank you received: 3
I have already sold mine. Good luck!

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54416

• notman
  • Thank you received: 30
You can’t expect anything from devteam on this forum. Despite a few of us taking them to task on communication here a while back, it’s now been a full month again without them posting anything of substance. I’m at peace with it, but it sucks to see customers trying “@devteam” like it’s a real tag or that they’re reading it. Open a ticket if you want to hear from anybody.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54419

• vikkysingh
  • Thank you received: 1
Couldn't have said it better myself. Just give up guys. Its sucks but this product will not support anytime soon. I ended up buying another streamer (allo digital) and it works marvelously. I'm just using the SHD for the Dirac digital features now. If you want a top notch Roon experience, look elsewhere. Dirac works great btw.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54423

• sina.hakman
  • Away
It is a shame that devteam is not active and responsive. I haven't given up yet but Allo Digione seems like a good option. It is not great to be forced to buy two streamers though. :(

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54434

• staki1966dsp
  • Thank you received: 2
What's wrong with using Roon bridge plugin in Volumio? Just trying to understand. What additional functionality will be unlocked by Roon certification that's not available now?

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54435

• eisenb11
  • Thank you received: 4
My understanding is that the only way to use the SHD with Roon is to have it grandfathered in - that way Roon lets you use it as an uncertified device. I forgot when Roon started that - I think it was last year sometime.

Otherwise, Roon detects the bridge, the device shows up in the device list, but you can't do anything with it.

At least, I think that's how it works.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54436

• staki1966dsp
No, that's wrong. There are 2 ways to stream from Roon core to SHD, one is directly to SHD, which is done by enabling the "Roon Ready" option, and the other is to use the Roon Bridge plugin in Volumio. The first one does not work since Roon stopped working with uncertified devices unless you have a some sort of dispensation from Roon, like a developer account which they apparently gave out to people who had both Roon and SHD prior to cutoff date. But the second option still works.

I got my SHD in Jan this year and I don't have Roon dev acct -- I asked them for one and my request was refused. But I can still stream the data to Roon bridge plugin without any issues.

My question is, can someone explain in what way would streaming directly to SHD be better than streaming to Roon Bridge plugin? In terms of audio quality, usability? Because I just don't see a difference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaaptina

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54437

• eisenb11
I'd like to know how to do the 2nd option. I've seen it mentioned a few times, but no one says how to do it. Even emailed tech support and got no response. Just curious.

I thought someone somewhere mentioned volume control as being a limitation?

Last edit: by eisenb11.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54438

• staki1966dsp
In web gui, go to My Music and make sure "Roon Ready" option is turned off.
Then go to Plugins and install Roon Bridge plugin.
That's it.

I've seen discussions where people complain about volume, but I can assure you that SHD's volume works just fine in this setup. I think that people who are complaining want to adjust the volume directly in Roon, but that's not my use case.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 2 weeks ago #54439

• eisenb11
Ah thanks for the info.

I would fall into that boat - My use has it so I'd want to control the volume directly via Roon.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 1 week ago #54490

• daniellu
I spent quite a lot time listening to the SHD studio. I am using Roon, and Roon plugin for Volumio, To my surprise, I can hear frequent jitters that I can not ignore. I also tried airplay, to be honest, those jitters disappeared. I thought it could be my DAC, and I switched to different DACs, the results were same. there must be something wrong, Am I the only person having such issues? I really hope SHD studio will be Roon certified .

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 1 week ago #54492

• staki1966dsp
Could you be more specific about what it was that you heard and how did you determine that it was "jitter"?

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 1 week ago #54497

• daniellu
I remember long time ago , I found a online test that you can find out if you can hear those jitters. Surprisingly I could hardly hear any of them. Later, I realised some of the noise in digital audio are actually 'jitter'. The ones I am talking about in SHD case, sound like the very faint popping noise at the background. you would imagine you are listening to an old Vinyl record with lots of dust on it. It's best to use headphone to detect them. Basically , with comprehensive listening , you can test with any album, you can hear more or less. It was easy for me to test with Cyndi Lauper's True Colors. the random popping noises are everywhere (but they should not be there). I use THX 789 headphone amp often, I can hear them , but I also can easily hear the noise just using the SHD headphone output. It's easy to hear using Headphone MSR7b, HD6XX is hard to drive by SHD, but I can hear them. I plugged in an iphone ear phone, listen carefully, I can hear the noise.
To test Roon bridge plugin, I have a Raspberry P4 with Volumio installed. I didn't notice any of these noise before, so I listened again , the same song, I can't hear any of these. Crystal clear. I have another fanless PC installed Volumio, unfortunately , the Roon bridge plugin was not supported in X86, so I was not able to test. As I said before, I can NOT hear such faint noise while using SHD studio with airplay, or SHD USB direct connect to PC. Yesterday , I had factory reset for the SHD studio, and reinstalled, didn't fix it.

SHD Update and Roon Ready Certification 7 months 1 week ago #54498

• eisenb11
To play devil's advocate - remember that Roon wanted to take control and weed out "compatible" devices that weren't living up to their expectations. That was the sole reason behind the non-certified Roon devices brew-ha-ha (supposedly).

Perhaps the jitter issue, if it exists, would be fixed when MiniDSP eventually releases an official Roon certified update for the SHD?

Moderators: devteam