Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Clock sync?

Clock sync? 5 days 27 minutes ago #51264

I just setup a MiniDSP SHD Studio in my studio control room because I didn't want to have to deal with inserting a plugin in my DAW to use Dirac on my studio monitors. My interface is an Antelope Orion Studio. I'm running the SHD in a SPDIF loop in my setup. So it looks like...

Orion SPDIF Out -> SHD SPDIF In -> SHD SPDIF Out -> Orion SPDIF In -> Orion Analog Out -> Studio Monitors

This is working as expected. My question has to do with clocking and sample rates. I generally run all projects at 24bit 96k, which I think lines up with the SHD's specs. I'm curious though, if the SHD is syncing to the clock of my Orion Studio via the SPDIF connection? If not, what happens in this configuration if/when the Orion Studio is running at 48k? I can't find any settings in the SHD plugin having to do with clock source.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Clock sync? 5 days 22 minutes ago #51265

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 664
The inputs are asynchronous on the SHD Studio. It has its own clock internally.

Dave.

Clock sync? 5 days 1 minute ago #51267

Thanks Dave. What do you mean by asynchronous? Is the SHD sample rate converting the audio if it comes in at something other than 24/96?

Clock sync? 4 days 23 hours ago #51268

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 664
Yes, it converts it. In fact, if it comes in at 24/96, it still converts it. :)

Your S/PDIF data stream has an embedded clock, but a unit with an (ASRC) asynchronous sample rate converter (essentially) ignores the clock and utilizes just the signal portion of the stream.
The S/PDIF data stream that emerges from the SHD Studio outputs has an embedded clock too.....but it was generated inside the SHD unit and has no timing relation to the input signal.

Dave.
Moderators: devteam