Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp?

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 3 weeks 4 days ago #50487

• elikirschner
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm hoping to organize my audio setup as SHD into Tube Preamp into Solid State Power Amp. I'm currently using SHD as a preamp into SS Power Amp. SHD also outputs to a powered subwoofer. I want to add the tube preamp to add that tube warmth sound into the mix. It would be easier to go with a tube power amp and keep SHD as the preamp but the speakers i'm looking at are inefficient and need the SS watts.

Would this setup work? Essentially it uses the SHD as streamer, sub crossover, Dirac room correction, and input selector (for analogue phono). But I would make the volume on it fixed and use tube preamp for volume.

I think this would work but i'm a little new to minidsp usage so want to make sure i'm not missing anything. For example, I realized this scenario wouldn't work to keep using SHD to control volume because then the subwoofer volume is controlled separately from the preamp volume which puts it out of balance.

Thanks.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 3 weeks 3 days ago #50496

• chrissy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
Hi,

I think it doesn't work. If you put the tube preamp in front of the shd, eg. feed the output of the preamp into the shd, you don't have the tube preamp in the chain for measurements with Dirac. If you connect the preamp behind the shd, eg feed the analog out of the shd to the preamp, it would only act as tube buffer. What a waste for a fully featured preamp. There could be the danger of removing the tube characteristics by Dirac filtering.

You will always have to control the volume by shd since the tube preamp is probably two channel. ;)

I retired my tube preamp because of theses thoughts.
I tried it once, when I got my shd and the result was quite disappointing ( only tried preamp in front). The shd as standalone preamp gave me better results. Its quite an excellent preamp. Modify the sound by working with the target curves, if you feel the need to do so.

Greets
Christian
SHD as Preamp, Squeezelite player and roomcorrection.
Nubert nuVero 60, 2x Elac 2070 Sub, XTZ EDGE A2-300 power amp. Acoustic solid Machine record player, SME 4 Tonearm, Nagaoka MP 500 cartridge,
FI Micro iPhono2 phono preamp, HiFiMan HE1000 SE, Phonitor X phone amp
Last Edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by chrissy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: elikirschner

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 3 weeks 2 days ago #50517

• elikirschner
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks. You're right, I essentially just want to use it as a tube buffer to add that tube sound. Am I misguided in doing that? I've just always loved the sound of tubes in other systems I've heard and wanted to add that to my system. As long as I'm using volume control on the SHD, is this idea not possible.

Appreciate the feedback.
The following user(s) said Thank You: demi1234

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 2 weeks 3 days ago #50585

• murtazao
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Only realistic way it could work is to use a separate streamer feeding the tube preamp, and feed the preamp output to the SHD.. You would be using the SHD for Dirac and Bass management only with fixed volume. While volume control and input selection would be handled by the tube preamp.

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 2 weeks 3 days ago #50587

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139
elikirschner wrote:
Thanks. You're right, I essentially just want to use it as a tube buffer to add that tube sound. Am I misguided in doing that? I've just always loved the sound of tubes in other systems I've heard and wanted to add that to my system. As long as I'm using volume control on the SHD, is this idea not possible.

Appreciate the feedback.

Yes you can do this, so long as you can keep the tube pre-amp gain fixed. Only you can decide whether you'd like the result though.

If it's just 'warmth' that you want I'd have thought you could achieve this with DSP applied by the SHD. If on the other hand what you want is the euphonic harmonic distortion that valve amps typically introduce then you won't be able to achieve this with the SHD.

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 2 weeks 3 days ago #50590

• chrissy
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 23
murtazao wrote:
Only realistic way it could work is to use a separate streamer feeding the tube preamp, and feed the preamp output to the SHD.. You would be using the SHD for Dirac and Bass management only with fixed volume. While volume control and input selection would be handled by the tube preamp.

Hi,

As I wrote before, I wouldn't put a tubeamp in front of shd, because dirac will try to "correct" it. I tried both, in front and as tube buffer behind shd and then retired the tube preamp :laugh: ;-)
Greets
Christian
SHD as Preamp, Squeezelite player and roomcorrection.
Nubert nuVero 60, 2x Elac 2070 Sub, XTZ EDGE A2-300 power amp. Acoustic solid Machine record player, SME 4 Tonearm, Nagaoka MP 500 cartridge,
FI Micro iPhono2 phono preamp, HiFiMan HE1000 SE, Phonitor X phone amp

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 2 weeks 2 days ago #50613

• elikirschner
  • Fresh Boarder
Ultrasonic Wrote:
"If it's just 'warmth' that you want I'd have thought you could achieve this with DSP applied by the SHD."

Ultrasonic, can you recommend how this would be achieved? To my (limited) understanding, tube sound has a slightly elevated mid-range frequency boost - are you suggesting doing that with the Dirac curve?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by elikirschner.

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 2 weeks 2 days ago #50614

• elikirschner
  • Fresh Boarder
murtazao wrote:

Could you explain "only realistic way?" I don't understand why the SHD has to be after the preamp (preamp out to SHD). If the preamp volume is fixed, why can't the SHD come before it, to be used as streamer, input, and volume control?

MiniDSP SHD before Tube Preamp? 2 weeks 2 days ago #50615

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139
elikirschner wrote:
"If it's just 'warmth' that you want I'd have thought you could achieve this with DSP applied by the SHD."

Ultrasonic, can you recommend how this would be achieved? To my (limited) understanding, tube sound has a slightly elevated mid-range frequency boost - are you suggesting doing that with the Dirac curve?

If you're already applying Dirac in the relevant frequency range, yes. If you're only applying Dirac at bass frequencies (as I do) then you could apply a filter to add a boost using the PEQ section in the plugin.
Moderators: devteam