Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is SHD balanced internally?

Is SHD balanced internally? 7 months 1 day ago #51207

• Jukka
  • Fresh Boarder
Can someone answer a few newbie questions:
  • What is a balanced digital signal?
  • Apart from differential connection, what is a fully balanced device supposed to be?
  • And are there any benefits in that, if there already is a differential output?
  • You are not mixing it with bridge-tied load (BTL), are you?

I get hum if I connect my sub to my SHD with RCA, but that's just irrelevant, because it's got XLR.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is SHD balanced internally? 7 months 1 day ago #51212

• entripy
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 88
A balanced signal is one where there are two signals, one in antiphase to the other. It helps reduce interference mostly and is applicable to any signal, analogue or digital. A digital signal can be currupted by interference just as well as an analogue one.
A fully balanced device would typically mean the inputs and outputs are both balanced. The processing inbetween the inputs and outputs is unlikely to be. Indeed until you 'unbalance' the balanced signal by subtraction you don't reject interference.
Last Edit: 7 months 1 day ago by entripy. Reason: more explanation

Is SHD balanced internally? 1 month 2 weeks ago #54848

• 13DoW
  • Fresh Boarder
There is no balanced digital signal, just a number to be converted to analog. If that number represents +1V then a single DAC will convert that number to +1V. To implement a balanced DAC you feed the number representing +1V into one DAC and then create the digital representation of -1V and feed that into another DAC so you get a 2V differential output - and probably scale the signals in the analog domain to give 1V differential. I believe it is relative easy to create the 'inverted' digital value.
The advantage of this is that any interfering signals, eg from the power supply, will affect both DACs the same and when fed to an amplifier with a true differential input it see's only the difference. Signals common to both lines are rejected.

Regards,
13DoW
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam