Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support

SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support 4 months 20 minutes ago #48805

Hi @devteam

Does or will the SHD (www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd) support the new Dirac Bass Control feature?

For calibrating crossover for up to 4 subwoofers independently? Using 4 analogue outputs with SHD.

diracdocs.com/Bass Control in Live.pdf
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support 4 months 2 minutes ago #48808

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139
Others have been asking largely the same question here:

www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-suppo...ac-live-bass-control

I say largely as you're talking about 'up to' 4 subs which sounds impossible to me. For bass control to work it needs to handle the signal for the speakers that the subs are being integrated with, so you'd need two of the analogue outputs for left and right main speakers, leaving at most two for subs. Even then I wouldn't be holding your breath for this functionality to appear...
Last Edit: 4 months 1 minute ago by Ultrasonic.

SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support 3 months 4 weeks ago #48810

Ultrasonic wrote:
Others have been asking largely the same question here:

www.minidsp.com/forum/dirac-series-suppo...ac-live-bass-control

I say largely as you're talking about 'up to' 4 subs which sounds impossible to me. For bass control to work it needs to handle the signal for the speakers that the subs are being integrated with, so you'd need two of the analogue outputs for left and right main speakers, leaving at most two for subs. Even then I wouldn't be holding your breath for this functionality to appear...

Generally with DACs, the balanced and unbalanced outputs are all active at the same time...

So why not run XLR balanced to power amps or active speakers - and have the 4 unbalanced outputs to 4 subs...

Doesn't seem impossible. Seems like a great candidate actually.

SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support 3 months 4 weeks ago #48812

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
minidsp202020 wrote:
Generally with DACs, the balanced and unbalanced outputs are all active at the same time...

So why not run XLR balanced to power amps or active speakers - and have the 4 unbalanced outputs to 4 subs...

The balanced and unbalanced outputs on the SHD are active at the same time but they carry exactly the same signals (Output 1 Balanced = Output 1 Unbalanced etc). For bass control to work you'd need to send different signals to subs and main speakers.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Ultrasonic.

SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support 3 months 4 weeks ago #48813

Ultrasonic wrote:
minidsp202020 wrote:

The balanced and unbalanced outputs on the SHD are active at the same time but they carry exactly the same signals (Output 1 Balanced = Output 1 Unbalanced etc). For bass control to work you'd need to send different signals to subs and main speakers.

I understand, that's why I've asked the question to miniDSP... it would need to be able to re-configure the outputs via Dirac Live setup.

The physical connections are all there to all it to work. So it would be a DSP/firmware thing... that only they can answer?

SHD and new Dirac Bass Control support 3 months 4 weeks ago #48814

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
minidsp202020 wrote:
I understand, that's why I've asked the question to miniDSP... it would need to be able to re-configure the outputs via Dirac Live setup.

The physical connections are all there to all it to work. So it would be a DSP/firmware thing... that only they can answer?

No. You're asking if a device with 4 independent output channels can perform a task that requires at least 6. It can't.

Two subs plus two main speakers is a question only miniDSP staff could tell you if they might be introducing DLBC support for.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Ultrasonic.
Moderators: devteam