Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.
  • Page:

TOPIC: SHD Power - which amplifier?

SHD Power - which amplifier? 5 months 2 weeks ago #48342

• dkinric
  • Fresh Boarder
Turns out it's none of the above. It uses a Texas Instruments TPA3255 Class D chipset. Meh.

From the datasheet:
Proprietary custom 2 x 120W amplifier (8Ohms/4Ohms), SNR >110dB (at 1kHz A-weighted, 120W in 8Ω), Embedded PCM1395 DAC chipset + TPA3255 Class D chipset
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by dkinric.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Power - which amplifier? 5 months 2 weeks ago #48344

• devteam
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 1155
dkinric wrote:
Turns out it's none of the above. It uses a Texas Instruments TPA3255 Class D chipset. Meh.

@dkinric,
Indeed a custom module to fit the box and most important fit our needs for very low THD at all ratings.
Why the Meh statement btw? Any experience at hearing a 0.07% THD amplifier @ 120W? we're pretty proud of that spec and the hard work our team did to achieve it... most amps don't do that out of the box ..

We hope you get a chance one day to listen to this new box! :-)
miniDSP, building a DSP community one board at a time.

SHD Power - which amplifier? 5 months 2 weeks ago #48358

• jaaptina
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 36
One box design is nice, but does it compare?

B)

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by jaaptina.

SHD Power - which amplifier? 5 months 2 weeks ago #48359

• dkinric
  • Fresh Boarder
Ha! OK, fair push back.

I was hopeful this unit would include an amp with better "numbers". Even granting a Purifi module is in a different class and would be cost and availability prohibitive, I was hoping to see something like the Hypex NC252MP, which has a THD of 0.0015%, 121 s/n, with an output of 150 watts/channel at 8 ohms. Yes, I have heard this, as this is my current amp (DIY, new gray market module).

To your point though, I put numbers in quotes as really we are just talking about numbers on a page. The TPA3255 at 0.07% thd is still good compared to all amps (especially class a/b), and I will grant you the differences between these two are most likely inaudible.

The number differences we are discussing are negligible compared to the overall value proposition - Dirac Live being the killer application, quality build and nice design adding up to a nice all in one box solution. Personally, I am looking at the SHD to drive my own amp and 2 powered subs.

Didn't mean to come across all elitist on you. MiniDSP has every right to be proud of the SHD lineup, and taken as a whole, the SHD Power looks to be a strong addition to the SHD family.
Last Edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by dkinric.

SHD Power - which amplifier? 5 months 2 weeks ago #48361

• xnwrx
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18
Yes these are just numbers as nothing will be audible bellow about 0,1% THD. No doubt this Amp is a very good value.
But FIR filters should have been the killer. I have the filling that MiniDSP is dropping FIR filters in favor of Dirac. They are loosing what made them famous and their strength, and the customers that go with it.
They are now fighting on a market where hundreds of renowned companies are, while with FIR filters they were just a few.
I really can't figure out why they don't propose FIR filters option in place of Dirac (which is useless when compared to FIR)
  • Page:
Moderators: devteam