Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: Is the SHD automatically upsampling?

Is the SHD automatically upsampling? 5 months 5 days ago #47854

• hamish1000
  • Fresh Boarder
I just started setting up my new SHD. At the moment I have not done any room measurements so it is just operating as a pass-through device with the connection sequence disc-player --> SHD --> Benchmark DAC. The DAC detects and displays the bit depth and sample frequency. When I play a red book CD with the player connected directly to the DAC it shows 16 bit 44.1 kHz as expected. When the signal goes to the DAC via the SHD it is detected as 24 bit 96 kHz. Even with no disc in the player it shows 24/96. Does this mean that the SHD is upsampling? I checked the manual and the settings available in Volumio and could not find anything relevant.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Is the SHD automatically upsampling? 5 months 5 days ago #47855

• Ultrasonic
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 139
In your case yes, there is upsampling going on. I believe the output will be 96 kHz no matter what the input, so if you fed your SHD Studio (I assume) a 192 kHz signal I believe you'd find it downsampled to 96 kHz instead.

Checking the product page shows that 96 kHz is the internal sample rate used by the DSP in the SHD Studio:

www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio
Last Edit: 5 months 5 days ago by Ultrasonic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hamish1000

Is the SHD automatically upsampling? 5 months 5 days ago #47869

• hamish1000
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the quick reply.
Moderators: devteam