Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: SHD Fixed volume/ HT Bypass + bass management

SHD Fixed volume/ HT Bypass + bass management 7 months 6 days ago #46734

  • EB1000
  • EB1000's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 15
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 0
Hi

I'm considering the SHD (with analog inputs). I have a Yamaha A2080 receiver with balanced pre-outs and two seperate monoblock amps. I want to connect the Yamaha XLR pre-outs to the SHD.

For music stereo only listening I'll be using the SHD Volumio. But for home theater listening, I need the SHD to bypass Dirac Live processing and switch to fixed 0db master volume setting for the XLR inputs, so the Yamaha will take over. I don't mind if the SHD will still convert the analog signal to digital and back to analog. But I need to be sure that all filters and master volume can be bypassed, even by programming my Harmony hum remote. Is this possible?

Also, can the SHD do Dirac live bass management, or is the Dirac processing limited to only 2 channels, like the 2x4 HD? According to the functional diagram of the SHD, it seems that crossover are applied only post Dirac live 2 channel processing. Is this true?

Will the SHD support the upcoming Dirac live bass management upgrade?

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Fixed volume/ HT Bypass + bass management 7 months 6 days ago #46735

  • Ultrasonic
  • Ultrasonic's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 739
  • Thank you received: 138
  • Karma: 14
EB1000 wrote:
I'm considering the SHD (with analog inputs). I have a Yamaha A2080 receiver with balanced pre-outs and two seperate monoblock amps. I want to connect the Yamaha XLR pre-outs to the SHD.

For music stereo only listening I'll be using the SHD Volumio. But for home theater listening, I need the SHD to bypass Dirac Live processing and switch to fixed 0db master volume setting for the XLR inputs, so the Yamaha will take over. I don't mind if the SHD will still convert the analog signal to digital and back to analog. But I need to be sure that all filters and master volume can be bypassed, even by programming my Harmony hum remote. Is this possible?
You will be able to manually switch Dirac off and to set the volume to 0 dB, but not as a single preset that you just select. You'd just want to be careful if you did this to remember to turn the volume back down to a lower setting before listening to anything else! I'd actually be tempted to run the master volume on the SHD at lower than 0dB as a safety feature to reduce this risk (and having the AV amp volume higher to compensate and achieve the same output level).
EB1000 wrote:
Also, can the SHD do Dirac live bass management, or is the Dirac processing limited to only 2 channels, like the 2x4 HD? According to the functional diagram of the SHD, it seems that crossover are applied only post Dirac live 2 channel processing. Is this true?
Dirac on the SHD is just the 2-channel version, as is on the DDRC-24 (the version of the 2x4 HD with Dirac).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Fixed volume/ HT Bypass + bass management 3 months 3 weeks ago #48780

  • mvs0
  • mvs0's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 0
EB1000 wrote:
Hi

But for home theater listening, I need the SHD to bypass Dirac Live processing and switch to fixed 0db master volume setting for the XLR inputs, so the Yamaha will take over.

Thanks

I have made a HT bypass by making 2->1 XLR cables with a small relay switching between the AVR and SHD outputs. The relay is controlled by a trigger 12v output of my AVR(Marantz AV8805) .
In this way you have a full bypass and will also not see extra latency. (My AVR could not compensate for the delay)

The relay is the same one that is used internally in the SHD for switching audio: OMRON G6K-2F-Y 12DC.
This relay is small enough that it will fit into the XLR plug!
Last Edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by mvs0.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Fixed volume/ HT Bypass + bass management 2 months 2 weeks ago #49706

  • mvs0
  • mvs0's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Senior Boarder
  • Posts: 44
  • Thank you received: 5
  • Karma: 0
mvs0 wrote:
EB1000 wrote:
Hi

But for home theater listening, I need the SHD to bypass Dirac Live processing and switch to fixed 0db master volume setting for the XLR inputs, so the Yamaha will take over.

Thanks
I have made a HT bypass by making 2->1 XLR cables with a small relay switching between the AVR and SHD outputs. The relay is controlled by a trigger 12v output of my AVR(Marantz AV8805) .
In this way you have a full bypass and will also not see extra latency. (My AVR could not compensate for the delay)

The relay is the same one that is used internally in the SHD for switching audio: OMRON G6K-2F-Y 12DC.

This relay is small enough that it will fit into the XLR plug!

See LINK for more details.
Last Edit: 2 months 2 weeks ago by mvs0.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: devteam