Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable 1 week 3 days ago #45253

• jaaptina
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
To use Dirac 2.x the SHD needs an uninterrupted connection while editing target curves. I need a 5 meters USB cable for that. My 5 meters printer cable connection is terribly unstable and therefore is unusable.
I bought a Deltaco active USB cable. But this cable also doesn't make a stable connection and is therefore unusable.
Strangely when I use a 1,5m Audioquest USB cable combined with a very cheap 1,5m extension cable the connection is absolutely stable. However 3 meters is to short for my purpose.

Anyone better experiences with 5 meters USB cable?
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by jaaptina.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable 1 week 3 days ago #45255

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
I found Dirac 2.x very unreliable with 5m USB cables that worked perfectly with Dirac 1 for a year. I tend to think there's nothing wrong with the USB cables and its just another bug in Dirac 2 which is on the whole, very unreliable compared to DLCT. Unfortunately that's just what happens when you completely rewrite an application. 2.3.0 at least seems a bit better than 2.2.3 so I guess they are slowly moving in the right direction. I avoided the problem by buying a laptop to use shorter cables :(

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable 1 week 3 days ago #45256

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
Then again, a new SHD plugin update was posted a few days ago which apparently fixes USB bridge bugs. Sadly it won't run because of certificate errors for me.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable 1 week 3 days ago #45258

• jaaptina
  • Senior Boarder
You are right. Dirac 1.x didn't give me any problems with the 5 meters USB cable. Dirac 2.x seem to need an uninterrupted connection. Once broken you cant even save your work. Reconnecting doesn't work either.

I did a test with the UAC2 control panel open. This showed a continuously connecting and disconnecting SHD. It flickered on and of every second.

For me this makes Dirac2 very un user friendly.

I did communicate these problems with with Dirac Helpdesk. They responded the workings of Dirac 2.x won't change. For connection problems they advised me to contact MiniDSP helpdesk. Witch I did. Probably will receive a reaction comming week.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable 1 week 3 days ago #45259

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
I did manage to do a calibration with Dirac 2.3 on one of my two SHDs last week although Dirac 2 gives an error on startup which means it can only use the first preset. I'll try to calibrate the other room/SHD next week and see what happens there and then contact support.

To be fair to MiniDSP, the technical changes between Dirac1 and Dirac 2 were immense and required huge changes in the plugin and supporting programs which work behind the scenes. I'm hoping the latest update, when fixed, may help quite a bit.

One reason I haven't progressed as quickly as I hoped is that fortunately the DLCT calibrations still sound great and I much prefer listening to music to banging my head on software updates. I figure it'll all get sorted out eventually.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable 2 days 18 hours ago #45373

• jaaptina
  • Senior Boarder
The active USB cable I bought did not solve the connection problem. Then I realised I had an 15 year old powered USB hub laying around. Using the standard 5 meters USB printer cable and the powered USB hub it works!
It's more of a hassle using 5m cable, hub, power cable connected to a wall outlet and 1m USB cable from the hub to my laptop. But I'm happy it works.
Last Edit: 2 days 18 hours ago by jaaptina.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 2 days 18 hours ago #45374

• jaaptina
  • Senior Boarder
The active USB cable I bought did not solve the connection problem. Then I realised I had an 15 year old powered USB hub laying around. Using the standard 5 meters USB printer cable and the powered USB hub it works!
It's more of a hassle using 5m cable, hub, power cable connected to a wall outlet and 1m USB cable from the hub to my laptop. But I'm happy it works!
Last Edit: 2 days 18 hours ago by jaaptina.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 2 days 18 hours ago #45375

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
I did manage to do the other room cal on my 2nd SHD and althought it was fraught and took much longer than it should because of USB unreliability even with a 3m cable it did work. It took much SHD rebooting before I got to the end. Something in the communication seems to get the SHD in a state where they no longer communicate. Dirac 2 generally seems to lose commubication in level setup, once I start doing measurements it seems much more reliable, almost as if the measurement position loop has better exception recovery.

Before using that 3m cable I was using two 5m cables with a powered hub in the middle between two floors of the house. Very messy but no less reliable than a single 3m cable.

Since then MiniDSP have posted SHD updates which supposedly help USB reliability so I look forward to testing them

At least my oldest SHD does let Dirac 2 see all 4 filter slots. Support are currently examining a flash dump from my newest SHD to try to figure out why it only sees a single filter slot. If they can figure that out I can do many more room calibration tests.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 2 days 16 hours ago #45380

• jaaptina
  • Senior Boarder
One thing, don't use the volume knob while connected. Only use the volume sliders in Dirac software.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 2 days 15 hours ago #45381

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
I'm not sure I've ever used the volume knob, always the remote controls I think.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 1 day 20 hours ago #45407

• jaaptina
  • Senior Boarder
I think that's causing the problem. The Dirac manual says you need to control the volume in the Dirac software when setting up measurements. After I did that I never had problems anymore.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 1 day 18 hours ago #45411

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
I don't change volume when in Dirac, so that's not my cause of the problem

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 1 day 18 hours ago #45413

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
Excellent, support sent me a new exe which has solved Dirac 2 only seeing one filter slot so now I can do 3 more calibrations with different lengths of usb cables and check reliability.

SHD Studio with 5 m USB cable; solved 1 day 15 hours ago #45418

• entripy
  • Junior Boarder
Just did a room calibration with a 5m USB cable with Dirac 2 with all latest software. No problems at all, went as smoothly as DLCT for the first time ever for me. Only took 20 minutes compared to the 2 hours of rebooting and retrying last time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaaptina
Moderators: devteam