Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
NOTE: This is a "Community" forum. Please be mindful that community members are here to help as part of a community effort. We therefore appreciate your effort in keeping this forum a happy place!

If you have a specific issue (e.g. hardware, failure) and want help from our support team, please use our tech support portal (Support menu - > Contact Us).
Thanks a lot of your help in making a better community.

TOPIC: noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 1 day ago #44671

• hazyj
  • Fresh Boarder
Hello. Yesterday I setup my new SHD Studio in fairly standard arrangement: S/PDIF in from my OPPO 105 and S/PDIF out to my Auralic VEGA. I read the manual and followed all directions in order prior to proceeding with DIRAC room correction. All seemed successful and sounded great and then the following in order ...

1. The first time playing back with DIRAC ON the unit was set to -22.5db output. This is where I had it during setup, but worth noting as you'll see below.

2. I heard no static/popping while playing music the first time. All sounded great until I stopped the music a few minutes later. At this point I began to hear fairly loud popping sounds at about one per 7 seconds on average.

3. The more music I played the worse the popping became. Several per second on average.

4. I turned down the volume on the Auralic and turned up the SHD from -22.5db to -3.0db so that overall music volume was the same. The clicking remained but was now much much quieter.

5. I've discovered that the static/popping goes away completely by simply disconnecting the S/PDIF out cable and then re-connecting. It makes no difference which output I use (1&2 or 3&4) or which Auralic input I use (1 or 2). It makes no difference if I swap the digital cables (input to output & vice versa). However, once music is played the popping comes back.

Also it makes no difference if the computer is hooked to the unit via USB or if LAN cable is connected. The problem exists regardless. I've confirmed that unplugging and then plugging back in makes no difference. I am using the same AC outlet for all my components.

So yes, it seems as if this might be caused by improper grounding leading to static (stray capacitance?) between the SHD and the Auralic. Worth noting that I've never had issues with the Auralic before.

Should I return the unit?
Last Edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by hazyj.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 1 day ago #44672

• Nocko!
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Can you try optical or XLR cables ?

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 1 day ago #44673

• hazyj
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd rather not, but if needed to help diagnose the issue then sure if miniDSP wants to send me the cables.

For now I just want to solve the issue rather than ignore it. Improper grounding and/or poor cable terminations shouldn't exist in a $1000 unit.

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 13 hours ago #44677

• dreite
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 634
All the inputs and outputs in the SHD Studio are transformer coupled, are they not??

Dave.

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 12 hours ago #44678

• hazyj
  • Fresh Boarder
I'd assume so, which leads me to believe the issue exists in the connection to the output terminal. In any case, the support team is working on this with me now.

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 9 hours ago #44680

• jaaptina
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
The standard Dirac target curve can be positioned high above deep valleys of the measured curve. I my case this was a cause of distortion. It was solved when I lowered the target curve and/or lead the target curve around the deep valleys.

noisy static / popping with my new SHD Studio 2 weeks 8 hours ago #44682

• hazyj
  • Fresh Boarder
That was support's first assumption/info. Unfortunately this happens independent of DIRAC anything (targets/filters/ON/OFF). Regardless I never messed with the targets much and this isn't audio distortion. This is static popping that occurs whether music is playing or not.
Last Edit: 2 weeks 8 hours ago by hazyj.
Moderators: devteam